Please sign in to post.

White Cliffs of Dover

Since the White Cliffs of Dover cover a substantial area, are there any suggestions what spot is the best photographically . I am thinking that the spot or spots that I am looking for would be from a stretch of land that is able to view an adjacent stretch of the cliffs from such an angle, such as a right angle (or some angle close to a right angle) thereby placing the cliffs being photographed almost in front of me. I hope that makes sense ?

Posted by
6522 posts

You can get a view of the cliffs from Dover's harbor, especially out on one of the piers or breakwaters if you can get out there, but it will include a lot of infrastructure, not just the cliffs themselves. The best views of the cliffs alone are really from the water, i.e. a boat or ship.

Others may know of particular vantage points, but my recollection is that you don't see much of the cliffs from on top or the castle area to the west. Check Google Earth for photos to get an idea of what's possible. But note that where the little photo icon appears on the landscape doesn't correspond closely to where the picture was taken.

It may well be that when you’ve seen pictures of the white cliffs in films etc, it’s actually the stunning Seven Sisters area in nearby Sussex rather than at Dover: http://www.sevensisters.org.uk has details of how to visit.

The cliffs at Dover are iconic because of the song but they’re not the best example of white cliffs. They are best seen on a ship or boat arriving back into the harbour after wartime...