Please sign in to post.

Which rail pass?

My husband and I are heading to England for approximately two weeks at the end of November. The first week we will be traveling and the second week we will spending in London with family.

I am wondering if anyone has advice as to which is the best rail card to get. I am aware that advance tickets are cheaper. I am also aware of the Two Together Rail Card and the British Rail Card (which I think we could use the London Plus for our itinerary).

Our itinerary looks like this:

• Day one: Land in the AM at Heathrow, hired car/cab to Windsor, tour the castle, early dinner and early bed.
  • Day two: AM train to Bath, explore Bath
  • Day three: Tour Stonehenge and surrounding areas, PM train to Oxford?
  • Day four: or AM train to Oxford?, explore Oxford
  • Day five: Blenhiem Palace and PM train to London
  • Days 6- Day 13 in London with a possible day trip to Canterbury, York, or somewhere...

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to which rail card/pass option we should purchase? I am considering the Two Together or the British Rail Card (London Plus option).
Am I missing any options that would be better for us?

Thank you in advance!

Posted by
16893 posts

The BritRail London Plus Pass comes in 3 days in a month for $154 or 4 days for $187 and covers all your mentioned destinations except York (which would also be a bit longer day trip at 2 hours each way from London).

But since you're traveling in November, you can also consider the discounted Low Season version of either flexi or consecutive BritRail England Passes, which give you a wider travel territory, and 3 days in a month for $163 or 4 days for $201. That gives you more flexibility for a daytrip from London to York as well as to use the Bath-Salisbury line, if you like.

See both at https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/transportation/trains/britain-rail-passes, as well as links for the Two Together and National Rail.