Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in London

Hi all, we'll be traveling in early September - need a hotel for one night in London, off to Aylesbury and Leeds the following two nights, then back to London for 5 nights. Would anyone have recommendations for smaller, boutique-like hotels, likely in Covent Garden (from what I've read so far, that's a good location to call home)? Interests are history, museums, gardens. Location and quality are more important considerations than budget, if that helps.

Thanks!

Posted by
8649 posts

Covet Garden is noisy and busy.

For staying one night and wanting to visit London I’d consider getting a room at the Paddington Hilton.

For your 5 nights book at the Premier Inn at Kings Cross.

Or if want to go boutique try The Beverly or Z hotels by Victoria station.

Posted by
6113 posts

I find Covent Garden to be a noisy location, albeit it is central and there are plenty restaurants etc.

Assuming you are travelling to Aylesbury by train, The Langham Hotel is near to Marylebone Station if you want luxury.

Premier Inns are well located and good value for what they offer, but are a chain of value hotels rather than boutique top notch quality.

For your longer stay, The Pelham in South Kensington is well placed for the plethora of nearby museums or 11 Cadogan Gardens in Chelsea is near Sloane Square tube station.

Posted by
35 posts

Thanks to all for the consensus feedback on Covent Garden - we're not overly noisy types. will check out your hotel recommendations - please keep them coming!

Posted by
464 posts

The area near the Gloucester tube and Kensington is very convenient and enjoyable. Or if you go to the Paddington Station area we liked Hotel Indigo which was very welcoming and had great food in their tea and breakfast area.

Posted by
35 posts

I looked at the Lime Tree inn, which is recommended by Mr. Steves, and it seems like it might work well - close to a couple of tube stations, relatively quiet, a more B&B kind of feel (so it seems). Does anyone have experience there or similar recommendations? Thanks again

Posted by
752 posts

Lime Tree Inn has undergone an extensive and needed refurbishment, although not adding air conditioning. Great makeover! Select your room carefully as some are small. Unlike most B and B’s, their breakfast is now not included in the price. A number of Forum members have stayed there over the years, and may have more recent experience.

Posted by
107 posts

The brutal truth is that In the UK nobody ever needs air conditioning. Wanting and expecting are different matters entirely.

Posted by
70 posts

There is a Marriot Hotel in Swiss Cottage is nice and in a really great location for catching buses and the Jubilee Line into Town. Can also walk to the Northern Line easily too. Primrose Hill and Hampstead have a lot of good restaurants that would give you a slice of being a local vs a tourist. Plus the Overground is close, which would take you to Kew Gardens really easily.

Posted by
168 posts

We just came back from five nights at the new Premier Inn at Paddington Basin. Quiet area, close to two tube stations, and lots of restaurants and groceries. A bit basic, but very clean and safe and reliable.

Posted by
8 posts

We just stayed 4 nights at Henley House Hotel, a small and quiet hotel. It’s very close to the Earl’s Court underground station which we used all the time—having two lines there made it very convenient.

Rooms were immaculate and had a/c. Light breakfast available in a nice glass-enclosed dining area.

Posted by
5256 posts

I really liked the Edition hotel in Soho, quite swanky and the best minibar I've ever encountered! Fantastic room and shower and very impressive dining room and cocktail bar. It's a bit pricey but great for a splurge, particularly for a one nighter. Didn't encounter any noise from the room despite being in Soho.