Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in London

We are taking the train from Paris to London and back to Paris. We will arrive in London on 9/19...leaving for Paris on 9/23. Party of 4..not sure where to stay in London. Want to see the highlights (Changing of the guard, Big Ben, Piccadilly Square. Is catching a cab an option to get us to our hotel from train station. 4 people with 4 pieces of luggage. We were looking at Covent Gardens... Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted by
11176 posts

"Big Ben" is covered by scaffolding undergoing renovations

Posted by
593 posts

So you'll be arriving at London St Pancras International station, then, right? Loads of hotels around St Pancras/Kings Cross.

Standard advice is to choose lodging within the Circle Line of the tube (underground) because that line encompasses most tourist sights. Not that you'll always be taking the Circle Line specifically but within the Circle Line indicates a "centrally located" hotel. Anyway, King's Cross/St Pancras station is on the Circle Line (and many other lines) so why not stay near where you'll depart from for Paris? Make life easy.....

Good luck and have a wonderful visit!

Posted by
3753 posts

You'll be arriving at London St Pancras.
There are two or three Premier Inns near there. Clean, comfy, not expensive. I'd grab a room at one of them.

This would be my choice:
https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/greater-london/london/london-st-pancras.html?INNID=LONSTP&ARRdd=29&ARRmm=07&ARRyyyy=2018&NIGHTS=1&ROOMS=1&ADULT1=2&CHILD1=0&COT1=0&INTTYP1=DB&SID=4&ISH=true&BRAND=PI&CID=GHF_US_mapresults_desktop_LONSTP

You can walk to a great many sights from here. And it's most convenient for arriving/departing from St. Pancras.

Posted by
6501 posts

And, unless your hotel is close to St. Pancras, a taxi is probably the best way to get four people there with luggage. There will be a taxi rank at the station, look for signs. Here's a station map that may help.

Posted by
14980 posts

I agree with the other posters that staying near St. Pancras is a great idea. I've stayed at the Premier Inn St. Pancras and it was quiet, clean and convenient.

Posted by
4845 posts

Another vote for staying close to St Pancras/Kings Cross. We stayed at the Premier Inn St Pancras, too. We were there for a week and couldn't fault it. And with it's easy access to multiple tube lines, plus bus stops right outside, it made getting to and from the main tourist sights very easy.

Posted by
8660 posts

If you each get an Oyster card you can see ALL the iconic sites easily.

As suggested look at the Premiere Inn near St Pancras station. Easy stroll with luggage to and from.
Clean, safe, and affordable.

If you have interest the Treasure Room at the British Library is close by. Google Sir John C Ritblat Gallery.

Lastly as noted it’s Piccadilly Circus which isn’t really anything except huge neon lights. Suspect it’s Trafalgar Square near Covent Garden that you were thinking of.

Posted by
908 posts

Ditto for staying at St. Pancras/Kings Cross area. You can't go wrong with the Premier Inn.

Posted by
114 posts

We just were in London and stayed at a lovely little B and B (The Euro Hotel) at Cartwright Gardens. It was the perfect location! close to St Pancras, Euston station, and Russell square. With an oyster card, that got us pretty much anywhere we wanted to go.

(the most helpful app for navigating the tube was citymapper. I was relying only on wi-fi, so I would just look up where I wanted to go the night before and write down the tube lines to take. If you have cell service, you can get real-time information on the fastest way to get somewhere and even which car of the tube to get to get in).