Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in London

Terribly indecisive where to stay in London. Will be going on a cruise from Southampton in July and have booked airfare to arrive in London 5 days before, about 10:30 AM. We will arrange for a car service to pick us up at Heathrow (recommendations?) to go to a hotel because I hurt my foot and don't want to drag luggage on the train. I have the same concern getting to the Waterloo station the day of the cruise.

Am willing to pay a taxi to get to Waterloo up to $50 or so.
Have capped hotel at $400 per night with all fees. Would love to eat light breakfast at hotel, else somewhere quite nearby. My UK friends recommend saving a lot of money staying around west Kensington but although public transportation is great, we'd rather be nearer to Westminister or Waterloo (I think), having picked just a few "must visits" in London and one or two daytrips. Thanks!

That’s a healthy budget. Have a look at one of the two Park Plazas near Waterloo/Westminster - the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge and the Park Plaza County Hall. Great location, just a very short walk from Waterloo Station, right by the London Eye and across the river from Big Ben (although it’s encased in scaffolding). A little more expensive but in the same location, the Marriott County Hall. Or, if you want to save money, there are a couple of branches of the excellent budget chain Premier Inn (County Hall & Waterloo). These five hotels are all very close to each other in an excellent location halfway between Waterloo & Westminster tube stations and on loads of bus routes too.

Posted by
16190 posts

Look at the Premier Inn Waterloo, or County Hall. Both look to be around £155-165 for a double room in July, on the "flex" ( not prepaid) rate. No breakfast included, but they have a restaurant, or you could visit one of the many cafes along the riverfront path.

We love staying on the South bank of the river, using the path as much as possible. Great views abound.

Posted by
11159 posts

No breakfast included, but they have a "reassurance,"

I suspect you meant 'restaurant', but spell check walked off on its own?

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks! I've been eyeing these too. Marriott is over $500 a night and Premier Waterloo is sold out. Need to look into construction near Premier County Hall. I want cancellation option and of course that adds to the price. Am also looking at Royal Horseguards which 2 friends loved, but was about $500/night when I first looked, and now is much lower. They were part of a package and had breakfast taken care of, need to find out if quick eateries are nearby. Was advised taxi would be under 25 pounds to get to Waterloo on a Saturday morning.

Posted by
392 posts

Check out Travelodge at Southwark. You won't get a view but they are clean modern rooms. There is also a Hilton in Southwark. Easy taxi ride to Waterloo, 10 minute walk if your foot can take it or 1 stop on the underground. Good access to Tate modern and St Paul's Cathedral. Lots of inexpensive places to eat.

Posted by
16190 posts

Take a look at the Sanctuary House Hotel, about two blocks from Westminster Abbey. It was our go-to hotel in London until we started renting apartments.

http://www.sanctuaryhousehotel.co.uk

Rooms in July appear to be around £220-240, depending on dates. Breakfast is included, but it is a light breakfast, not "full English" which we find too much anyway. The online booking portal is very frustrating, so if it says "sold out " for your room type and dates, you might give them a call.

Posted by
5 posts

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Any car service recommendations from airport? Read it would be less expensive than a taxi.

Posted by
3391 posts

I highly recommend the Conrad St. James hotel. I was just there a few weeks ago for three nights on a quick trip through London.
It's just around the corner from Westminster Abbey, the Houses of Parliament, and St. James Park. About as central as you can get in London! The St. James Park tube station is directly across the street. The price fits your budget. If you have a Chase Sapphire Preferred card you can get a free upgrade, free buffet breakfast (excellent!), and hotel drink/food credit. It's a beautiful hotel with impeccable service, decor, and spacious rooms. Lots of extra amenities - staying there is always a treat!
You may want to consider taking the Heathrow Express from Heathrow to Paddington Station and then taking a cab from there to the hotel. The Heathrow Express train takes only 15 minutes and the taxi is about another 15 or so to the hotel. It's stress free, easy, and very efficient as you catch the train right outside of immigration/customs. Last time I took a private car into central London it took about 1.5 hours in traffic. Not fun.

Posted by
5 posts

Appreciate hearing about places I hadn’t considered. Prices and vacancy jump around quite a bit. I want a week based in London before our cruise so unfortunately I don’t have date flexibility. As I did with flights (refundable for a while) I’ll make hotel decision soon. Thanks again

Posted by
423 posts

I love the St. Ermins Hotel.
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/lonse-st.-ermins-hotel-autograph-collection/

Close to Buckingham Palace, St. James Park, Westminster Abbey- you can walk easily to all of those- has a small pub im the hotel as well as a restaurant, room service, and lovely tea service- I always think to try somewhere else but since I like it there so much I keep going back- close to Metro station as well. Love it!

Happy Travels✨💫

Posted by
22 posts

I recently stayed at the Trafalgar St. James, a Curio by Hilton hotel that was just completely renovated. Rooms are large for London, beds very comfortable, and the location could not possibly be more central. I was able to walk many places and buses and the tube were right outside when I did need public transportation. If you are a Hilton Gold or Diamond member, continental breakfast is included and was very good quality. If not, there are many other options for a light breakfast nearby. I read somewhere that you can also have the front desk add continental breakfast to your room rate for a significant discount compared to ordering off the menu, so that would be worth asking about. WiFi and a minibar with water, soft drinks, etc. were included in each room as well. The hotel was very quiet inside, which is amazing when you walk out into Trafalgar Square each day! Highly recommend.

Edited to add: I did exactly what Anita recommended above, Heathrow Express to Paddington and then a taxi to my hotel. Quick and easy, both directions. Make sure you buy the Heathrow Express tickets 90 days in advance for the biggest discount, they get very expensive if you wait too long!

Posted by
5 posts

Saw a 30 day advance buy for Heathrow express 28 pounds (sorry can’t get the symbol to hold) for the two of us. So around noonish on a Monday could get a taxi at paddington for somewhere around that price as well, being less expensive than a car service from Heathrow?

With fees haven’t found where I’d like to stay for $400/night average so far for my inflexible dates with cancellation option. Don’t know how afield I can go for a taxi fare of maybe $50 on Saturday am to get to Waterloo station for Southampton train. Don’t want to go from Paddington.
Unless my foot stops being a challenge, package deals with transfers are my future!