Please sign in to post.

Where to stay in London?

Hi
We are travelling to London next month. I wanted to book Airbnb but was not sure which zone is better in terms of price and central. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
B

Posted by
544 posts

I've really enjoyed staying in Belgravia the last two times I've been in London. It's nice to come back to a quiet neighborhood only blocks from Victoria Station. The only issue I had was needing to purchase Oyster cards in the late morning at Victoria with the long lines from all the arriving trains.

Posted by
23278 posts

We also stay in the Victoria station area probably more out of habit since are very familiar with the area but it is a handy area to be in.

Posted by
8680 posts

With the London Underground you can see a lot of London in a day. To save on transport cost stay in zones 1&2. http://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf I enjoy the Bayswater neighborhood as I always take the Heathrow Express into Paddington station and Bayswater is within walking distance from the station. But that's just me. Others will say, Earls Court, Victoria, Kensington, Belgravia, Clerkenwell, etc. This link explains London's varied neighborhoods. http://www.frommers.com/destinations/london/673859. To help u make your decision use Google Maps satellite view to see what's where and which neighborhoods are nearby. Lastly, if you use the search engine on this website you'll generate numerous posts about where to stay in London.

Posted by
91 posts

Belgravia area is wonderful , stay here every visit. Starbucks , small places to eat , " local post office nearby where you can exchange money as I do it every time I am in London " . Also some local places that serve breakfast "sidewalk tables" we tried while walking from Ebury St. to the station. Shaun Connery lives in the area , "just missed him in a yummy Chocolate Shop one evening " , Margaret Thatcher lived just a street or two over from Ebury St. , Bab's also owns a place in the neighborhood I believe . Taxis are always waiting outside Victoria station , used them if we came in after dark " wintertime once " but most of the time it was summer hours so no problems 2 women walking around in the evening. Walking is quicker then taking the tube if the churches , historical buildings are walking distances. Did lot's of walking down the Thames , crossing over to see the Tate Museum . One night just for the fun of it we hired a Taxi circled the area along the Thames to see the sights at night then back Ebury St. which for 4 people was not too expensive. Had some drivers actually refuse a tip but we did not give as much of a percent as we do here in the USA. Love London Walks ! Even if you have been there many times the Walks are so interesting visiting parts of "quaint streets / pubs " in the city . Some friends of mine who are from London enjoyed them as well . We eat at a Spanish Tapais Restaurant every time we're in London. Have a great time.

Posted by
565 posts

I stayed in an Airbnb in Whitechapel a couple of years ago. I loved it, and the surrounding neighborhood. PM me if you'd like the link.