Please sign in to post.

Where to stay

We're visiting London for the first time in late September for 3 1/2 days, coming into St. Pancras on the Eurostar. We've made several cancellable reservations but are having a hard time deciding which area is the best option for our short stay.

We have a reservation in Bermondsey convenient to a bus line but nearest tube station is a 15 min walk.

We have an option right next to the Elephant and Castle tube station, a room at Three Cranes in the City of London with a tube station nearby, and one at the Days Inn Hyde Park which is close to the Paddington tube station.

We plan to do a lot of walking, but would like public transport close to where we're staying for when our feet wear out.
We are also wondering about nighttime buses versus tube as far as which is easier for newbies to navigate.

Our main goals this trip are to visit Westminster Abbey, the Churchill War Rooms and the Tower, do a Jack the Ripper tour one evening, go to the British Museum and possibly see a show.

Any assistance in narrowing down the best location is appreciated!

Posted by
8673 posts

I’d go with the Days Inn Hyde Park based on your desire to use public transport if you tire.

Paddington station has 4 underground lines ( Circle, Bakerloo, Hammersmith, District ) and the Lancaster Gate station has the Central Line

You can easily walk into and explore Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens via the Lancaster Gate.

If you went to Hamilton its a 20 minute tube ride on the Circle line from Paddington.

To get to the British Library you’d take the new Elizabeth Line from Paddington Station to Tottenham Court Road. 10 minute stroll to thr British Museum.

To Westminster Abby, Parliament Square, and nearby Churchill War Rooms its also 20 minute tube ride via the Circle Line.

Have a great first time visit. Great city to explore. Wonderful to walk along the Thames path, in Richmond park looking for the fallow deer, or wandering in the Hampstead Heath for nice views of London. Look for the Jim Henson bench.

Posted by
15013 posts

For what you want, you are better off at the Three Cranes or the Days Inn.

Without looking at the quality of the hotels, its mostly flip a coin. But I'd probably go with the location of the Three Cranes for a first time visitor. Although you won't go wrong with the location of the Days Inn.

Forget the other two.

Posted by
1006 posts

Days Inn I think is a better location for tourism but it has terrible reviews so I’d go with the Three Cranes. It’ll be easy for you to get about from there to anywhere you want to be.

Posted by
877 posts

I’ve no idea about any of the accommodations but The Three Cranes wins hands down on location. I’ve never understood the fascination with Paddington as a location, it’s too far from most sights.

Posted by
8673 posts

@Johnew52

Its not a fascination with Paddington. For me, who has been visiting London since Tricky Dick Nixon was in office, it’s convenient. I like being able to take a pre dawn meander in Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens. A favorite pub, Mitre, is there so is Tudkin. Breakfast at Sheila’s.

Public Transport east peasy. 15 minute tube ride on the Central Line to Leicester Square. 20 minutes on Central Line to Ealing Broadway with 5 minute stroll to my favorite Pho Saigon. 16 mins on the Central Line from Lancaster Gate to the Queens Theatre or 20 minutes on the Bakerloo Line from Paddington.

So thats why I prefer the Paddington. Each to their own.

Posted by
138 posts

Hi, I can recommend staying the the Luna Simone Hotel, near Victoria Station, a great location, easy access to tube or busses, or walk! Fun hotel, lovely breakfast, great neighborhood!! Another small hotel, near tube, is the London Elizabeth, in the Bayswater Neighborhood, across from Hyde Park. Also offers breakfast. Karen