Please sign in to post.

What to wear?

My husband and I are joining a tour in London on Aug. 23 that will travel until Sept. 5 through England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. We need to pack light and are wondering what is appropriate for those areas at that time of year. A raincoat or poncho for sure, and a sweater or light jacket for evening, good walking shoes-yes- but what about pants, capris, shorts?

Posted by
3 posts

I meant appropriate for the climate, not culture. There is quite a difference between 7 degrees Celsius and 37 degrees Celsius! Sounds like I'll carry a raincoat and wear capris.

Posted by
5678 posts

I really recommend a water proof rain jacket and not a poncho. Get one with a hood. You want to have the ability to do layers as Emma pointed out. In Scotland, I've rarely needed shorts. I've taken some convertible pants and in all my trips have rarely taken the legs off. I find that a skirt is a better option for warm weather as it can also be a dress up for an evening event. I also always have some good walking sandals.

I assume that you are touring in Scotland and not walking. If you're walking (hiking) I have additional advice. :)

Pam

Posted by
13934 posts

I so agree with Emma and Pam about having a waterproof (NOT water resistant) layer. I also like one that I can fold up and put in a ziplock in my purse if it stops raining. I use a Marmot Precip but there are many on the market that are lightweight and waterproof. If you have something like a REI outdoor store or an Eddie Bauer near you go look at jackets before you purchase.

Posted by
6113 posts

Why travel light? Get a suitcase or bag with wheels that you check in and pack what you need!

Covering 4 countries in 2 weeks sounds like much of your time will be in transit, but even so, wear a pair of waterproof shoes or trainers. London and the southeast will be much warmer and drier than Ireland and Scotland. By the end of August and into September, the temperature will have dropped, so long trousers would be best for everywhere other than London. There will still be midges around in Scotland so expose as little skin as possible. They were forecasting frost for Scotland last night. I was in Scotland last month and hardly got out of jeans all holiday.

Don't bring an umbrella as it has been windy and this will be a liability.

Posted by
32747 posts

and the forecast for Scotland for the next couple of nights is frost again, so - while a heatwave is possible, don't count on it.