Please sign in to post.

What to Wear?

My husband and I are planning a trip to London and the Cotswolds in late August and early September this year. I am wondering what sort of clothing to pack. I suspect we need to be prepared for a variety of conditions, so layering will be key. I will take pants, but are skorts or shorts appropriate? We will be doing some hiking. Tips for footware?

Posted by
1287 posts

Hi -

Your other question on the weather will give you an idea - even we residents don't have a clue! But if the weather is kind shorts are entirely suitable. I've worn shorts while out hiking even when the weather hasn't been kind on the slightly twisted basis that skin dries quicker than fabric - I suppose it depends on your tolerance of chilly and/or damp conditions! I also tend to overheat quite rapidly, but appreciate this isn't the same for everyone. Standard hiking advice in Britain tends to be 'pack for all eventualities' and your intention to go with layers is correct. A windproof top is always a good idea and a waterproof essential (then cross fingers it can stay in your backpack for the duration). As regards shoes for hiking in the Cotswolds I think a pair of lightweight boots would be OK, or at a pinch a pair of hiking shoes, although shoes don't give you the ankle support that is usually recommended - there's nothing 'technical' in the Cotswolds but some of the paths can be muddy and slippery.

Hope this gives you some idea and that you have a great trip.

Ian

Posted by
4900 posts

layering will be key.

Yes. Pack a light rain proof jacket as well as a light sweater or cardigan.

I will take pants, but are skorts or shorts appropriate?

Sure, why not, if the weather is very warm. Would you normally wear skorts or shorts while hiking? Personally, I don't wear them when out and about in the cities. But you'll likely see other tourists wearing them if the weather is hot. It's way too early to predict. Best bet is to have a range of items to select from, then finalize your packing list a few days before departing, based on the forecast.

We will be doing some hiking. Tips for footware?

These are the MOST important items and deserve the most consideration. What do you normally wear when you're hiking or walking for several hours every day? Bring those. Style has to take a back seat to practicality and comfort. Bring 2 pair. I usually have a pair of leather walking shoes (easier to clean than fabric) and a slightly dressier pair of casual loafers. Those will suit everything from a long walk in the country to dinner and the theatre in the city.

Footwear - if you are planning to hike, I assume you have hiking boots? You’ll need them - sturdy waterproof leather or Goretex boots with good soles, as public footpaths in the Cotswolds will include fields, mud, stiles and all sorts. Ankle support is recommended. But ideally well worn-in and whatever you wear for hiking normally.

However: a proviso. I do understand that hiking has a subtly different meaning in the US. In the U.K. we’d understand it to mean from about 5 to 20 miles of vigorous country walking on footpaths, muddy & hilly terrain, field edges etc. Hence the urging to wear your normal hiking boots.

As you’re asking what footwear to bring, it might be that you’re not used to this kind of hiking and might have something different in mind.

Posted by
734 posts

Definitely take pants, walking with no undies would not be something i would want to do!!! Pants over here is another name for knickers not trousers! Sorry could not resist, always makes me giggle in a very childish way! That and fanny packs........

Posted by
4161 posts

I was so glad to see the responses about supportive hiking boots for the UK. I experienced all the kinds of conditions mentioned on my 6-week trip, May 1 - June 12 in 2016, and I wasn't really hiking!

This is from what Jane said:

"public footpaths ... will include fields, mud, stiles and all sorts. ... we’d understand [hiking] to mean from about 5 to 20 miles of vigorous country walking on footpaths, muddy & hilly terrain, field edges etc."

I experienced two very challenging situations:

1. Crossing a steep, heavily clodded, potentially ankle-turning cow pasture in the Cotswolds. Fortunately, a couple of people helped me cross that field.

2. Getting to a part of Hadrian's wall, via a steep, muddy, slippery path with water flowing over the mud, rocks and grass. Fortunately, my guide helped me.

I was very happy I was wearing my Ahnu, now Teva Montara hiking boots. I have them in dark gray and dark blue. I wore these every day, even in non-hiking situations because the support also works well walking and standing on cobblestones and flat surfaces.

My 2nd pair of shoes is these Abeo 3590 Mary Janes. I have them in black and silver. No matter how light I pack, they will be with me until they fall apart.

Those are my tried and true recommendations.

I recently got a pair of Teva Delavina boots in dark olive. I like the versatility of them and how high I can lace them up. They are very supportive, especially when laced high, but they do require some breaking in. I'm working on that, but I'm not sure if I'll take these next trip or my blue Ahnus.

Posted by
239 posts

To add to Lo's comments, you have to remember that rural public footpaths in England and Wales, and lowland Scotland, very often go across farmland, so it could be fallow, ploughed, under crop or full of animals (and what they produce). At other times, you might be by a river or going through a muddy hollow. The point is, wear walking boots. Trainers will only cut it if you're very lucky with the weather and don't try anything even moderately interesting.

Posted by
894 posts

Hiking poles would be useful also....some paths in the Cotswolds are hilly, muddy and stony just waiting to trip you up.