Please sign in to post.

What are the possibilities of seeing a doctor for an ear problem while visiting in London

Walking in Clinics like the States period where you don't need it appointment you can give to see a doctor just by going to the clinic period we call them walk in clinics in the States period do they have that here in London period I seem to have an ear problem period I was wondering if I could get to see a doctor before I board the ship maybe get some medicine period what does everybody suggest period I can just go on the ship and see the ship Dr or I could maybe see someone here before I leave in London period thank you for your ideas

Posted by Laura B
San Francisco
3705 posts

Good luck! You might have better answers asking at your hotel. In Berlin this spring I had a sudden hearing loss, and the hotel owner sent me to an ENT doctor about a block away. Two visits, earwax-softening drops, and a wax-removal treatment. I have never used a cruise doctor, but my suspicion is that there would be charges for treatment ... possibly excessive.

Posted by CJean
Ontario, Canada
1382 posts

I agree that your best source, in a hurry, is to ask the front desk at your hotel. They can refer you, and perhaps make an appointment. I hope, in your preparations, that you made sure you had out of country medical coverage. You may have to pay and be reimbursed later by the insurance company. I wouldn't wait to see the ships doctor. You would be facing a very steep bill most likely, and they won't take insurance.

Posted by jane
595 posts

Hi Charlotte - Start with a pharmacist. I think you're staying in Bloomsbury. There will be a pharmacist at the Boots in the Brunswick Shopping Centre. Go to the pharmacy section of the shop and ask if you can see the pharmacist for some health advice. They are well qualified to look at ailments and suggest a non-prescription drug for you. And if they think it is more serious, then they are also best placed to advise you on a walk-in clinic.

Charlotte, are you dictating your posts via a dictation app? I think you might be using a British app. You need to know that in the UK the word "period" just means, well, a period (or time or a woman's monthly) and the word you're looking for is "full stop."

Posted by Marco
Oxford, United Kingdom
3706 posts

There are both private and NHS walk-in centres available, which would be appropriate if you think it is just a minor problem. The nearest NHS centre is:

1 Frith Street

This does deal with minor ear, nose and throat problems. Free even to overseas visitors, but you pay for any prescription.

Posted by Unclegus
1952 posts

I find the way you have written your post a bit strange ,were you dictating it to someone?,there are full stops /periods on the keyboard.
However if you need medical advice contact NHS24 0800 22 44 88 on this phone number (free call), they will be able to advise you on what to do and where help can be obtained.
Visiting a Pharmacist is good advice as they are all well trained in minor ailments and will also be able to advise on drop in clinics and local doctor surgeries.
make sure you have funds to pay for any prescription and have insurance to cover any doctors visits,you may not be charged but the likelihood is you will.

Posted by charlottemaloneyart OP
34 posts

Thank you so much going to go to the front desk NAS them for the pharmacist closest pharmacist. Yes you're right I am dictating I use the Voice recognition on my Mac computer I'm used to doing that. However sometimes it makes errors with the dots in the periods. I like the dictation method it's quicker and sometimes it spells better than the way I spell. So thanks again you'll you're a great bunch.

Posted by Bets
Deep in the heart of Indiana
5403 posts

It makes many more mistakes than punctuation. There/their and your/you're were both mistakes in your last sentence. Some of your sentences are difficult to read, meaning while it's a shortcut for the speaker, it shifts the burden onto the reader.

Posted by Norma
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
7165 posts

I am sorry, but I have to say that the voice recognition thingie makes you seem semi-literate. How can you stand it?

Posted by Unclegus
1952 posts

yes social healthcare in the UK is excellent, of course it is not free but free at point of issue ,we all pay for it through our National Insurance contributions (Mine being over £300/month) as well as taxes. Advice in many of these places is usually completely free for everyone and often visitors to this country are not charged or charged at a level that would be a fraction of what you would have to pay in the US. I do think the US should really give social healthcare a real go.
BTW I used to work for our NHS but now work for the University Medical School attached to the main teaching hospital in Scotland.

Posted by Jill
Boulder, CO
1352 posts

I had an ear infection while staying just outside London years ago. I had a wonderful experience! I think I had to pay 20 GBP to see the local dr who gave me some drops that were like heaven! I took them to my local dr. here and he said he couldn't figure out what they were - we didn't have that medicine here. I had been battling chronic ear infections and these drops took care of the problem!