Please sign in to post.

Westminister Abbey

April tickets just became available! Unfortunately blocked off the week we are there :(.

Posted by
2097 posts

Then it was not meant to be jef. If it was meant to be, tickets would have become available.

If Westminister Abbey is very important to you, then you will have to plan another trip to London when Westminister Abbey has available tickets.

Posted by
114 posts

I will definitely plan on attending Evensong! And now I have room in the itinerary to fit in something else... I have many other things on that list!
Bostonphil7, this probably will be my only chance. My husband has been indulging me in my Europe trips, but now we will focus on his list of southern hemisphere locals. But I am sure we will see and do many wonderful things while we are there this trip.

Posted by
7218 posts

More than likely closing for preparations for the Coronation.

Posted by
114 posts

Claudia, they only do the walks Monday and Saturday. We arrive late Monday and leave Friday.

Posted by
7218 posts

Also their walks to the Abbey are cancelled from April 29 to after the Coronation anyway.

Posted by
4719 posts

It's worth seeing but won't make or break your trip. St. Paul's is plenty good, and the city is just chock full of places you can just pop into, see stained glass, light a candle, chat with God.

When I was there in December there were choir rehearsals going on in most of the churches I visited, you might luck into that as well.

Posted by
114 posts

phred, that sounds wonderful to me! I feel this way I have one less obligated time commitment. The Evensong, or attending one of the early morning services will meet my need.

Posted by
39 posts

Check to see if there is one of the free, 30-minute organ recitals at 5:30 pm on Sunday. Not a tour, but gets you in, you can probably get away with wandering a little bit, and hear some great music in a stupendous venue. Just sitting in the choir for half an hour and taking it all in is an experience. It seems there aren't any planned for April, but it appears that they are back on again for May.

Posted by
7218 posts

I would check the worship calendar before going, just in case the work to prepare the Abbey and the security concerns also disrupt the normal public worship patterns as well. That is not yet issued.
Westminster Roman Catholic Cathedral (towards Victoria), just up the street, is also worth a visit. Free entry, just walk in. Lots of city Churches are hidden gems, if passing one it's always worth trying the door.
And many, especially in the City of London, have free or low cost lunchtime organ or other musical concerts during the working week.
Southwark Cathedral at London Bridge is another, much bypassed option.
Free entry and they have daily Choral Evensong as well.

Posted by
114 posts

isn31c, thank you! I did not know if services would be as normal, since they don't go that far in their calendar. I did not know about noon time music or the Southwark church. I appreciate the encouragement explore other churches, which I am usually hesitant to do as I don't want to interrupt.