Please sign in to post.

Westminister Abbey

We will plan to visit this week. I saw that there is a tour - verger tour. How can I reserve this for 4 of us? Also, any other tips about visiting the Abbey. We will transit there and back on city cruises which I believe has a pier there.

Posted by
15826 posts

This from the Abbey's info on the Verger Tour:

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/visit-us/guided-tours

"Prices and how to book
For a verger tour, you’ll pay the Abbey entry price plus £10.
General admittance tickets to the Abbey can be purchased in advance online but a verger tour can only be booked when you arrive at the Abbey. When booking your tickets to the Abbey, please try to book your entry slot 30 minutes or so before the tour is due to start."

Posted by
1825 posts

I have taken both the Verger tour (back then you could call a day ahead and make resrvations, but evidently not now) and the Hidden Highlights tour. Both were excellent. Be sure to see the Queen's Gallery which is an extra ticket, too.

Posted by
118 posts

jjfcpa- I took the verger tour when I visited Westminster Abbey last month. I booked 9:30 entry tickets and showed up a bit before 9:00. I went to the information desk straightaway and booked the verger tour at 11:00. I believe they usually offer one at 10:30 but they didn’t the day I was there. I toured on my own and had coffee at the cafe before the tour began. It was so informative and we were taken into the shrine of Edward the Confessor which is off limits to the general public. I highly recommend it.
Happy Travels :)

Posted by
1825 posts

I forgot to add. I think there is a Westminster Pier which I landed at when I toured the Tower of London, then headed to Westminster Abbey. The Abbey is about a 1/2 block from the pier, just across the street from the Parliament building.

Posted by
3228 posts

Mardee, great article! We will be in London in 58 days and have purchased our Westminster Abbey tickets and fingers crossed 🤞🏻 we the Verger tour as well!

Posted by
15826 posts

Fingers crossed for you too, Tammy! 🤞
Westminster is my favorite pile in London: so much history within those walls!

Posted by
17 posts

Hi!
We were there two weeks ago and did the Hidden Highlights tour. I highly recommend it. We were able to visit a number of private areas including the current excavation in front of the abbey and the library. The tour was at 12:15 and last about 90 minutes. We booked the 10:30 entry and entered at about 10:20. We toured on our own with the audio guide and then stopped by the cafe for a cream tea before the tour.

As many people recommend, we combined our visit with a stop at the Churchill War Rooms. If you have time and interest, I would recommend the combination and then heading back to the pier for your boat.

Enjoy!