Please sign in to post.

Water?

Okay I have been thinking about this for a while but I feel silly asking....is it safe to drink the water in England, France and Germany?
I remember when my mom went to Europe in the 70's and they had to be very careful. Is it better now. This is my first trip, the trip of my lifetime and I don't want to get sick.

Posted by
736 posts

Not a silly question at all! I can only answer for France and Germany, but yes, the tap water there is perfectly safe to drink.

Have a great trip!

Posted by
3428 posts

The tap water is fine! Some places in Europe have stricter water guidelines than places in the USA.

Posted by
6525 posts

You'll have no problem with tap water anywhere in the countries you mentioned, or elsewhere in Europe with a few possible exceptions. You may encounter different tastes, as you might traveling in this country, but there's no safety issue.

In restaurants, you're likely to be offered bottled water (mineral water), but there's no reason to take (and pay for) it unless you especially like the taste (I'm a sucker for Pellegrino).

Posted by
10207 posts

I asked the same question but it was when I was bringing my Paris-born first baby to the States to visit grandparents. I called the New York City poison control to see if the American water was safe for his bottle.

Posted by
26 posts

Thanks everyone for answering my silly question. I feel so much better now!
Happy traveling!
Sandi

Posted by
703 posts

what you need to check, if you do ask for bottled water is if its 'still' or 'carbonated' ( bubbles) In germany in particular they love their 'bubbles'. which to us doesn't taste very good.
the other thing you may notice is the tap water is high in mineral content, 'calc' that leaves a terrible scum in the kettle and in cups of tea. we have found this in most of the european countries we have visited. it is very strange to us, as our water at home doesn't have this.
we are in England and its much the same here, the tea cups are dirty after every use.

Posted by
5330 posts

Only an approximate guide and there are exceptions either side, but for England and Wales the hardest water tends to be south of a line between Whitby and Exeter.

Posted by
1069 posts

"the other thing you may notice is the tap water is high in mineral content, 'calc' that leaves a terrible scum in the kettle and in cups of tea."

Caused by calcium in the water, I live in the South of England and the water is particularly "hard", caused by the water filtering through chalky soil (good for teeth and bones though).