Please sign in to post.

Walking Tours in London

Can anyone please recommend any - I am particularly looking for any that do very early morning tours, as I am only here on a short trip and enjoy exploring cities when they are very quiet (so early morning or late night, depending on my mood.. :-))

I found tranquiLondon which looked interesting - if anyone has experiences of them, or other similar companies I would love to hear about it!

Posted by
14995 posts

If you're promoting your company, that is not allowed. I say it because you only have two posts and both are exactly the same.

But the best walking tour company, and the largest, is London Walks

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you Frank, much appreciated.

No, not my company - I wish! I have posted a similar question in a few places as I need to finalise my plans asap; as I said, I'm very open to hearing about others (thanks for your recommendation!) - if you know of any others too that start early in the day that would be great.

Posted by
8664 posts

Besides London Walks which I’ve done and enjoyed might I offer the following for a solo sojourn.

I’m in London every year and love early morning solitude.

If you are near Lancaster Gate walk into Hyde Park through the gate by the Italian Gardens. Gardens were a gift from Albert to Victoria. Head for the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain. Paths are well signed. Your paved path with be adjacent to the Serpentine. You’ll see a number of runners, dog owners, swans, geese, ducks and possibly lovely green parrots. You’ll also see the strange Henry Moore sculpture and the intriguing Isis statue. Passing the Diana Memorial fountain ( opens at 10am maybe earlier) you will come upon the Lido Cafe which opens at 8am. You will also see swimmers doing laps. Nicest place to enjoy a morning coffee sitting outside watching Londoners begin their days. From here you can make you way to see the Albert Memorial and across the road Royal Albert Hall. Then into Kensington Gardens and over to the Round Pond ( more waterfowl) and then to Kensington Palace. Lovely walk

Just an idea for a walk you can do on your own.

Posted by
14995 posts

You could download the Rick Steves app. He offers some free self guided audio tours. They can be done anytime.

Posted by
1226 posts

I believe there is an extensive network of self-guided tours along the Thames, if that appeals. Just google Thames Walks. I have not walked any of the walks so far.

Posted by
5515 posts

and enjoy exploring cities when they are very quiet (so early morning or late night, depending on my mood.. :-))

I think you will find that London is rarely very quiet, even in the early mornings or late night.

Over the last 30 years, I have taken dozens of walks with London Walks (http://www.walks.com). The vast majority have been led by excellent guides. My favorites tend to be those that go through some of the neighborhoods away from the major tourist sites. I’ve particularly enjoyed the Hampstead walk, Old Kensington, and ”Somewhere Else” London (South Bank). They don’t have any early morning walks, but they do have some evening pub walks.

Posted by
593 posts

Claudia thank you for that early morning walking route -- I am going to save this for the next time I'm staying near Hyde Park