Please sign in to post.

Visitor Oyster Card

What is the advantage of purchasing an Oyster Card prior to arriving in London? Perhaps we would use it if taking the bus from Heathrow to apartment we have contracted for a week? Apartment is near Shepherds Bush. Having never been to London, perhaps we should travel via train/underground upon arrival to learn immediately how to use these modes of transportation. We will travel with one carry on each and a personal item. Is that too much for bus travel?

Posted by
3 posts

I have been to London before and can say the Underground is very easy to figure out and navigate. There are apps you can download on your phone to help you navigate your route. I believe you can purchase Oyster cards at the station at Heathrow (we've only ever flown into Gatwick and taken the rail into London). We are still deciding which option to choose. From my understanding there are not many differences between the standard and the Visitor Oyster card. The initial fees are different and there might be the tiniest fare difference in favor of the standard. Also, you can only put a Travelcard on a standard Oyster. I hope this helps a bit.

Posted by
340 posts

I don't see any real advantage to getting a Visitor Oyster Card - just get a standard Oyster at the Heathrow tube station. It sounds like you are really traveling light as far as luggage, so you should have no trouble on the tube or bus.

Can't tell from your previous posts, is the apartment near Shephard"s Bush or Shephard's Bush Market? This makes a difference if you are using the tube from Heathrow to get there.

Posted by
130 posts

It is closer to Sheperds Bush. Thank you to everyone who is guiding me.

Posted by
130 posts

I have considered the 2 for 1 but also found Historic Royal Palaces membership for 2 adults over 60 is £71. This allows us into five royal palaces and a discount at Kew Gardens. Can someone expand on this consideration?

Posted by
68 posts

@Val

The 2-for-1 with the National Rail Travel Card is good for over 150 attractions--check out the list. http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

We are planning on using it for Churchill War Rooms (18£ ), Hampton Palace (19.3£), Westminster Abbey (20£) plus others. It will easily save my husband and I 100£ in attraction fees. Also, its good for the full week, so no need to think about how much to add to the Oyster Card or bothering to check it or top it off. A good deal!!!