Please sign in to post.

Visiting England & Scotland Late March 2019 Need Input on Proposed Eight Day Itinerary

I am flying with my wife and two teenaged children into London next Mar/Apr 2019 for an eight day trip . After landing in London at 6:00 am we were planning to take a train via London to York and recover from jet lag on Day 1 and Day 2. Day 3 we would depart for Edinburgh and remain there for Day 3, 4 and Day 5. We would depart Edinburgh early on Day 5 and spend days 5 through 8 in London. I have visited London and surrounding countryside multiple times and am getting familiar with York and Edinburgh. My question is this too many cities packed into eight days or should we skip York and just head to Edinburgh and then back to London?

Thanks!

Posted by
6502 posts

If you don't have your tickets yet, or you can change without penalty, consider flying "open jaw" into either London or Edinburgh and home from the other. That will save you the time and cost of backtracking to wherever you first landed. For instance, your plan for Day 5 is to train from Edinburgh to London, which will take more than four hours. That's half a day less sightseeing or whatever you want to do. Even if your flight to or from Edinburgh connects through London, you'll save time.

Presumably your "Day 1" is the day you land in the morning, and "Day 8" is the day before you fly home (on Day 9). If that's correct, I don't think it's too many cities, but as you know anyone could spend the whole time in London without running out of things to see and do. That said, each of your three cities has unique and wonderful qualities, and you may want to expose your kids to all three. I suggest a family discussion of what you all want to see and do in each city, with help from a good guidebook including how much time to allow for things, then a decision about which cities you'll have time for.

Trains to York leave from King's Cross station, which is on the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow, certainly the simplest way to make that connection even jet-lagged. You'll have a choice of good seats because the line begins at the airport, but keep in mind that you'll probably be traveling during morning rush hour and the train (subway in US-speak) will be packed going through the city.

Posted by
1325 posts

Where in the Midwest are you? From Chicago, there is a daytime flight that leaves in the morning and then gets to London Heathrow at night. You can then stay at a hotel by Heathrow (or go into London) and get over jet lag that night.I did this last trip and thought it was wonderful.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks for the suggestions. My kids have already indicated many activities they want to explore in London. I have Rick's latest Great Britain book and I will have them both review Edinburgh and York to pick out activities and make sure they are on board. We visited the Netherlands last year and while the kids really liked Amsterdam they really loved the smaller city that we used as a base to explore the Netherlands. My son made the astute observation that too really get to know a country you need to get out of the cities. As far as flights, thanks for suggesting the day time flight. We already booked tickets on the red eye out of O'Hara for a really good non-stop fare of $600 on United. Did this flight last year to Amsterdam and it worked out great. I will also look at the option to fly from Heathrow to Edinburgh on a separate ticket. However based on past experiences you can book a cheap air fare on low cost airlines but get crushed on the baggage fees. Thanks !

Posted by
7663 posts

Don't skip York. It is my favorite city in Britain. Don't miss the National Railway Museum. York is a great city that you can walk and see all the sights. Walk the walls, plan on spending about half a day at the amazing York Minster Cathedral.

Posted by
2775 posts

I would suggest only going to York and London since you only have eight days.

Posted by
7 posts

Thanks. We are going to discuss going to York for three days and then head to London and potentially save Edinburgh for another time. Someone previously mentioned discussing an itinerary with our kids and what they want to see and do, which will help our decision.