Please sign in to post.

Villages of South England Tour

We will be taking the Villages of South England Tour in May/June 2019 and wondering what the best way to get from London to Canterbury (near RS hotels) and then from Bath back to London.

Posted by
1274 posts

Hi houghtonfam -

I would suggest by rail. Book, where you can, ‘Advance’ tickets from around eleven weeks before trip. These tie you to a specific train, but you can reserve seats, choose a table if available and/or direction of travel and window or aisle seats. Not sure this will apply to the London - Canterbury train but a little research via www.nationalrail.co.uk should lighten your darkness!

There’s a good deal of detail on both these routes elsewhere on the forum and some exploring of those topics will be of use and you’ll get advice from those more ‘in the know’ or ‘on the ground’ than I am.

It seems that both routes will have frequent trains, so should be something to suit your requirements.

Have a great trip!

Ian

Posted by
4728 posts

Since you asked for the best way, consider a private car service. We used one based in Canterbury to go from LHR to Canterbury. It is named Canterbury Airport Transfers. The web site (if my notes are correct) is taxicanterbury.co.uk/contact. The email is firstclasstravel@live.co.uk. We were very pleased with the car -- clean, roomy, well maintained. The driver drove quite safely, was most helpful loading our luggage, and commenting on various things along the way. We would not hesitate to use them again. After a long flight a car service is, in our opinion, worth the extra cost. And depending on the number of people in your party it might not be all that much more expensive than the train. Check them out and see what you think.

If you want to consider a car service from Bath to London, we have also used a Bath based car service that was very good and would use them again. The web site is chauffertravel.co.uk. The email address to get a quote in enquiries@chauffertravel.co.uk.