Please sign in to post.

Very hot in London Today (26 June 2024).

It is going to be hotter in London today (Wednesday 26 June 2024) than places in the Med. Temperatures should be around 31C by this afternoon - that's 88F for those in the 1 country in the world that still uses Fahrenheit. It will be cooler tomorrow (Friday).

To escape the heat, it will be a bit cooler on the coast. I am not a fan of Brighton but it may b e a good idea to head to this town on the south coast today if in London. 9.39 or later train from London ( Victoria) is £22.70 return - less with a railcard. Return on any train. The journey takes about 1 hour. Unfortunately Brighton is not Tenby: > https://www.express.co.uk/travel/uk/1915085/Best-seaside-town-Britain-cobbled-streets-perfect-beaches

Anybody heading to the UK this summer should keep an eye on the weather forecasts & amend your activities accordingly.

PS. Anybody heading off to the coast should check that it is clear and sunny. This satellite view will also show up any sea fog.(Click with Radar to see where it is raining and the play arrow will show recent movement of weather. You can also click for temperatures). https://www.meteoblue.com/en/country/weather/satellite/united-kingdom_united-kingdom_2635167

Posted by
2549 posts

Kenko - I would not even dip my little toe in the Thames in London.

Posted by
1888 posts

You’re right.
It’ll be better to join the Penguins at the Zoo and share a popsicle with them.
The Air-Conditioning industry is going to have another banner year in London.

Posted by
16123 posts

The Air-Conditioning industry is going to have another banner year in London.

Not necessarily. I'm in London and the other day I found the stores hotter inside than outside. They didn't turn on their A/C. And I'm talking big stores.

Fortunately, the heat spell is supposed to break in the next couple of days.

Posted by
2549 posts

I was on a bus the other day and it had working air conditioning. Unfortunately, the temperature inside was a bit too warm at 23C - presumably because people had opened the small windows and let the heat in from outside.

Posted by
11764 posts

Not necessarily. I'm in London and the other day I found the stores hotter inside than outside. They didn't turn on their A/C. And I'm talking big stores.

They forgot where the thermostat control is?

Posted by
7545 posts

Or from London you could go to Fenchurch Street (just up from the Tower of London) for a C2C train to Southend and Shoeburyness.

If you want the less brash side of a still major seaside resort (especially for East Londoners) then get off at Leigh on Sea, Chalkwell or Westcliff (or walk along the promenade between the three) £20.20 day return, or anyone with a Senior Railcard can buy a Senior Rover for £10- hop on and off all day at will.

Leigh especially has quite a charming old town down beside the river.

At Southend (another slightly faded town) there is the longest pier in the world with it's own railway.

The town also has 4 museums and a planetarium- https://www.southendmuseums.co.uk/

Yes I'm biased having lived there happily for 10 years, and I know we vaguely said to @cwsocial we would do a thread about Essex. It's on the list....

Posted by
10067 posts

Very hot in Paris today too !! (Overheated emoji face )

Posted by
146 posts

Unfortunately, there are few sandy beaches near London - both Brighton and Southend are shingle. There is, I recall, some sand at Margate (which is accessible by train) and at a few other places in Kent which are more out of the way.

It's a great pity as there are many beautiful sandy beaches in the UK, just not near London.

Posted by
1115 posts

It’s pretty hot here in a field in Somerset too but it hasn’t stopped over 200,000 people turning up.

Posted by
325 posts

I was in Blackwells in Oxford yesterday and only the floors below the ground floor had a/c (they told me the a/c on the other floors wasn't working). Had a pub lunch today in Oxfordshire and sat outside dripping with sweat. Ugh. A bartender told my husband, "Ah, you were here for summer!" :-) as it will be MUCH cooler in a few days.

it's fine; everything is green and lush, and it's nice to see the sun. But I'm not used to washing my clothes EVERY DAY haha – I DO expect to do that next week in Korea, but not here :-)

Joe, I was in Seattle 2.5 weeks ago and it was HOT. I guess I'm fated to be hot this summer!

and OP, unless I'm confused, today is Wednesday.

Posted by
469 posts

LOL, Laura, I checked the calendar because I have guests showing up on Thursday. I know my days are rather fluid after retiring (one week anniversary on Friday:) but I was a little worried. (Guess I should get off the forum and clean house!)

Posted by
11764 posts

and OP, unless I'm confused, today is Wednesday.
(today Thursday 26 June 2024)

Perhaps OP is affected by heat delirium? (and a lack of a/c?)

Or is June 26 a Thursday on the metric calendar? :-)

Posted by
1235 posts

My cat has been going around trying to find a cool spot to lie down all day. He's been stretching out full length on the floor and kitchen work surface. In lieu of a/c, I have an ancient desk fan that comes out for about two weeks every year. Ronnie has never seen the fan before and he's not fond of it.

Posted by
325 posts

Cherie, congratulations on your one-year anniversary! And I, too, had to verify it was not Thursday ;-)

Posted by
2549 posts

Yep - got my days wrong. It has now gone cooler and solid grey sky.

Posted by
7545 posts

The OP has now changed the opening post, so now Friday is the following day to Wednesday!! Really?

Posted by
1888 posts

Sounds like it may be dehydration delirium.
It’s now Thursday in the U.S. and things are really going to heat up — it’s time for the Presidential debate!

Posted by
2549 posts

Well, its 27 June 9am and the sun is back out. Nice cooling breeze and 20C.

Posted by
33628 posts

I'm about to cross the Channel and go home to 22 and windy. Such a relief that I missed summer.

Posted by
325 posts

so funny that my gentle query about the date spurred a lot of banter ;-)
I was expecting the OP to edit his initial post, and I'd take out my question about the day of the week, and no one would be the wiser, haha.

Today was deliciously cool and wonderful.