Please sign in to post.

Verger Tour Westminster Abbey

The Verger Tour appeals to me, however, you cannot book tour until arrival. Website instructions are to book general admission tickets on line, show up 30 minutes prior to tour, then purchase Verger Tour ticket. This is confusing to me.
Also, you cannot purchase online general admission tickets further out than March. We will be there in May, so I guess I will have to wait until April to Book?

Posted by
8375 posts

I highly recommend the verger tour. It is informative and provides access to certain parts of the Abbey you can’t go to on your own. You are correct that after you enter the Abbey, you go to a desk there at the entrance and sign up for the next available tour and purchase that ticket separately.

I usually go to the Abbey right when it opens and have not had to wait more than an hour for the next available tour, sometimes less.

Your May timing might be problematic with the Coronation. What time in May are you planning to visit? I know it will be closed for some time prior to the Coronation, I don’t know how long afterwards.

Posted by
3843 posts

Judy, I was just reading their website yesterday. We will be there from April 24-May 5. We made our reservations before the Queen’s passing. I guess I will have to schedule a visit early in our itinerary.

Posted by
518 posts

FYI
We were there early December. We purchased tickets that gave us plenty of time to sign up once inside for the Vergers tour. Unfortunately they were canceled for the remainder of the day (only 10:30 tour that day). As per their website (“Tours may be subject to change or cancelled at short notice. You can contact us 24 hours in advance to find out if any upcoming tours have been cancelled by calling 020 7654 4832,”) I did call the day before but I must talked with someone who did not have current information or it was a morning decision based on staffing. My advice would be to ask for the person who schedules the tours when you call and book a ticket that gives you the most options. I think the person I got on the phone was looking at the same information as I.
The audio tour was a good second though. Good luck.

Posted by
311 posts

We just did this tour in October. Yes, just add on when you show your txs. Really worthwhile! I hated waiting to get txs but that is there system. After that tour we did the Jubilee Galleries. 👍👍

Posted by
3227 posts

Thanks for asking this question. We will be in London for 12 days this fall and I was wanting to book the Verger tour as well. I think our plan is to do it on our first full day and if for some reason the tours are canceled then we can go back and try again another day.

Posted by
65 posts

Thanks everyone! You clarified the process. As soon as can book online May general admission tickets I will book a 9:30 tour and then upon arrival go to desk to book verger tour.

We arrive May 11, so the coronation will be over and I hope things will be back to normal. I really look forward to this tour. Went to the Abbey in 1975 and was very impressed, but it was very crowded and I just saw the highlights.

Again, thanks for help!

Posted by
457 posts

Yes, thanks to everyone for the verger tour information ... I was going to get there when it opens and use my London Pass to enter but worrying I might not be able to get in if the time slot is full which would mean my chances of getting on a tour would be slim to none (that's probably the biggest issue I see with the London Pass now that many places require a time slot ... you can't get a slot in advance except the The Shard and a few other places I had not planned on visiting) ... so I will purchase tickets for the first time slot as soon as I am allowed, then queue up early so I can hopefully get on the first tour of the day ... and if they are cancelled that day, I'll figure it out then ...

Posted by
8375 posts

A time slot is not required at Westminster Abbey with London pass. You simply show your pass at the entrance.