Please sign in to post.

VAT refund

I have a question about the VAT refund when leaving England. I read Rick's article about this. Is his statement correct that the item for which a refund will be claimed has to be unused? I am planning to purchase a bulky jacket when visiting London next month and was planning to wear it on the flight back to the USA because it will take up too much space in my checked luggage. I could keep it in its original packaging up until the point that I deal with check in luggage. So, if I understand the situation correctly, I can have the coat in its original packaging, making an unused item at the time customs inspects the product and stamps the VAT document, and then take it out of the packaging and put it on just before luggage check in. Is that how it works?

Posted by
16893 posts

Yes, that plan sounds fine. I also see no impediment to just carrying it onto the airplane without wearing it.

Posted by
8889 posts

Yes, that is about right. The item must be "exported unused", so don't wear it when you get your forms stamped at customs, but I suppose you could put it on afterwards. At the point you have your forms checked, the goods have to be available for inspection, so if that is after you checked your bags, then the goods must be in your hand luggage.
The other rules are:

• You must be a resident of a country outside the EU.
  • You need to get the forms when you buy the goods, they are then stamped by the customs to certify they left the EU intact.
  • You get your refund from the shop, not the customs. You send the stamped form back to the shop, which allows them not to pay tax on the item (because it was exported), the shop then refunds you, less any handling charge.
  • You get the forms stamped when you leave the EU. If you are, for example, going on to France, then you gte the forms stamped by French customs when you leave France.