Please sign in to post.

United Kingdom National Emergency Alert TEST 23 April 2023

For anyone in the UK on 23 April there is to be a test of a new National Emergency Alert System at 3 pm.

It seems that almost any mobile device, of any nationality, will be contacted.

Even if it is somehow just UK devices you will certainly be aware of it happening, from everyone's reactions.

More details here-
https://www.gov.uk/alerts?fbclid=IwAR275jZseTvohg-gfPDKmyX1ec8gDxVnrsa82anx6IIsowjRUbENCjBYY_4

EDIT (6 April)- Time now added- this time now falls between the London Marathon (that morning) and the FA Cup Semi-Final (at 4.30pm), and also avoids the times of Church Services in the morning.
EDIT (20 April)- If travelling by public transport, do not take any immediate action, but follow staff instructions and announcements (this is TfL advice)

Posted by
13946 posts

Thanks for the alert on the alert, lol. That would certainly be startling to get on one's phone.

Posted by
32767 posts

if it happens.

It was mentioned once around where I am and nothing since.

I wonder if it will work as well as the c-19 track and trace app so enthusiastically announced by the government a couple of years ago - we had ping-gate

Posted by
2510 posts

Newcastle v Spurs on Sunday afternoon.

Interesting to see 50,000 phones go off at the same time

Posted by
5264 posts

Well that was a monumental failure. Of the five phones in my household only my wife's work phone sounded the alarm!

Posted by
32767 posts

what a damp squib.

3 phones. One got it. No way to acknowledge. No flashing screen or torch for deaf folks. No readout of the wimpy message for blind folks.

typical.

Posted by
1549 posts

These have been in operation in Ontario for several years. I'm sure we aren't the only place. Anywhere else?

Posted by
863 posts

Anywhere else?

We experienced a test in Spain a couple of weeks ago. Our phone binged when we were on a train and we had a message on the screen that it was test simulation for a bomb threat.

In Australia, these types of alerts are routinely used during natural disasters like floods and fires but they are geographically limited to affected areas.

Posted by
877 posts

More local incidents like floods and fires are what the alarm is meant to be for when its used in anger.

Posted by
5763 posts

I know they have the alerts in at least parts of Washington State, USA. Don't know if it's the whole state but some counties anyway.

I don't have a smart phone so was never going to get it, but I was in a meeting at 3.00, and none of the other three people there received anything, not that we were thinking about it, as the meeting was about a gardening group.

Posted by
1549 posts

We mostly get them for Amber Alerts - missing children. But there was an error one that went out saying there was an accident at a nuclear plant.

Posted by
2510 posts

Lots of Spurs fans got them - real emergency going on there

Posted by
1282 posts

Agreed, early, the sneaks! Looking after my brother’s two dogs and had to scrape them off the ceiling. But only after I’d scraped myself off it first! Definitely came through loud and clear here!

Posted by
5763 posts

From BBC News about the warning in Welsh-

For the phrase "others safe" the message read "eraill yn Vogel" when
it should have been "eraill yn ddiogel". "Vogel" is a complete
nonsense word in Welsh - although it is a ski resort in Slovenia.

Oh dear!