Please sign in to post.

UK car rental insurance

My wife and I travel to the UK twice a year and rent a car for 3-5 weeks. We have stopped purchasing insurance through booking sites as several times we have arrived at a car hire counter only to find we that we must purchase additional coverage from them for CDW, excess liability, or something else. It's confusing, there is often a line, and we end up buying the daily coverage which adds a lot of cost. Even our travel credit card coverage is apparently no good there. Are there any quality third-party insurance providers that we can obtain an annual or trip policy that provides full coverage needed for rentals that is reasonably affordable? We'll buy and keep a car there eventually but it's not practical at this time. Thank you.

PS.
Take photos and check the tires before accepting a rental. We used a cheaper car rental company when I could not arrange a car through our preferred company. We had to purchase a new tire our last trip at about 200 miles after a rear tire delaminated at high speed on the motorway. Either the car company or a prior user had apparently replaced a factory tire with a used one that was not rated for the car, had almost no tread, and potentially dangerous. Yet, the delivery ticket I initialed showed more than minimum tread depth required for UK roads. Even though I had taken a few photos, we were tired, in a heavy rain at the lot, and, I neglected to get down and have a look at the tires.

Posted by
890 posts

Here in the U.K. you can buy insurance to cover excess car hire charges either on a trip by trip basis or annually. But I suspect that these policies are not available to non U.K. citizens. I use icarhireinsurance.com, so I guess you could ask them. I had a look just now and could not see a clear answer.

Posted by
6355 posts

I rented a car last year in Scotland with Celtic Legend (they partner with Arnold Clark company) and had such a great experience that I am using them again for my 5 1/2 week trip this coming spring to England. They include a GPS unit for free, which is a considerable savings as most other companies charge a daily fee for sat nav.

Celtic Legend was great to deal with. You request a quote from CL online, and they respond by email with the quote. You accept (or change as needed), and then they confirm it. You do not pay anything (although you can) until you pick up the car. You don't even give them a credit card number. Great staff and great service. I could not recommend them more highly. And getting and returning the car from and to Arnold Clark was so easy. Arnold Clark was also wonderful to deal with.

I was also able to waive the CDW coverage and use my own credit card coverage. I'm not sure why you were not able to. You might want to try requesting a quote from Celtic Legend and see what happens, but as I said, I have had great experience with them (as have many other people on this forum).

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you, both. My wife is a citizen with a current UK driver's license and address, so we'll look into both insurers. She does most of the driving, but we'll need to check options for my coverage. Its controlled chaos navigating the lanes and villages in SW Devon and was a stressful learning experience for years. I occasionally use the cars for errands and short trips.

Posted by
7569 posts

Not encouraging you to get another credit card, but several offer a premium coverage option that is actually pretty good. I have an AMEX that when I rent, I automatically pay for a policy that covers most things, It is about $30 and covers you for the duration of the rental, up to 30 days. I believe some of the other well known cards bent towards travel (Chase for example) have something similar. The message is, check your card benefits, there may be something you can activate, or already have.

Posted by
6355 posts

I believe some of the other well known cards bent towards travel (Chase for example) have something similar.

I agree - Chase is the one I have (the Sapphire Reserved). But Paul, it sounds like the OP has not been able to use his credit card coverage for some reason. I'm not sure why. I've been driving in Europe (and the UK) for over 25 years and have never had a problem.

Posted by
6355 posts

Its controlled chaos navigating the lanes and villages in SW Devon and was a stressful learning experience for years.

Ha ha, I feel your pain! I navigated the windy narrow single track roads of Scotland last year, and will be in Devin in late March doing the same thing.

Posted by
15069 posts

It sounds like the cheapo car company wanted you to take their insurance so they said yours was no good.

Stick to the bigger firms for car rental. I know my Amex insurance--as mentioned by a previous poster--is good in the UK.

I also have an annual travel insurance policy that offers an option for car rental insurance. It's through Allianz.

Posted by
55 posts

I use AutoEurope or contact the rental giant directly (Avis, Enterprise, Hertz). I use the insurance that comes with my Chase Reserve card and decline the CDW.
The CC insurance is not applicable in Ireland, but the UK is definitely covered. You got conned

Regards,
Dennis

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you all. Leaving in a week and a half. Almost booked a car today. The daily insurance is more costly than the car hire rate. As for credit card insurances, Capital - Venture One is supposed to be a good travel card but provides little information on coverages, conditions or out of country benefits. I did see a few posts here mention that Chase Sapphire has a coverage program that apparently includes the UK. We use both cards for travel, so I'll look into it. I also appreciate the several UK based insurance provider recommendations. If the credit cards don't provide proper coverage, I will connect with them. May do it anyway.

Posted by
32805 posts

remember that for the card insurance to be valid you must decline all optional coverage at the window.

Posted by
7679 posts

We always buy rental car coverage from American Express. It is reasonable in price unlike if you buy from the rental car company.

Posted by
55 posts

Brurpeele,
If you go to www.mycardbenefits.com and plug in your capitol one card info, you should be able to create a Certificate of Insurance to bring with you.

I am bringing one from that card and my Chase Saphire card in case the rental desk tries to pressure me into buying their CDW.

Bear in mind, the Certificate can be dated no earlier than 60 days before you pick up the card

Regard,
Dennis

Posted by
6569 posts

We’ve never been told we must purchase additional insurance in the UK. Coverages for tires, windscreen damage, or excess, not covered by basic CDW are always mentioned, but it’s up to us whether we purchase it or not. We always rent through a major company like Enterprise, Avis, etc.

Posted by
55 posts

jaimeelsabio,
Like you, I will be dealing directly with the rental agent (Enterprise) when I pick up my car at Manchester Airport.
Using third parties (Gemut, AutoEurope) no longer make any sense in this Internet world when all they are doing is contacting the same company we can contact directly.
Like with hotels, I would rather book directly with the venue knowing that if a problem arises, I am not relying on a second or third party to straighten it out.
I might think differently were I renting in a non-English speaking country
Dennis