Please sign in to post.

Tube at night

I will be in London in May, going to a concert at night. Is it safe for a woman, senior and alone, to ride the tube from South Kensington to St. Martins-in-the-Field at night?

Posted by
1324 posts

Yes, I’d send my own 76 year old mother on the Tube at night.

Posted by
5513 posts

Yes. The tube is very busy in the evening. There will be many people out and about so you will feel perfectly safe.

Posted by
1943 posts

Yes, I'm very petite and short and I went to West End shows and took the Tube back to Gloucester Road at 11pm.

Posted by
266 posts

My wife and I are seniors and have been to London many times and always use the tube. We have never been concerned about our safety and especially on that route. And we see many single women doing the same.

Posted by
2945 posts

"Yes it is," one of my favorite songs by the Beatles.

I like the evening and night tube because you get to see some interesting characters.

Posted by
3108 posts

Yes, no problem.
I was flabbergasted at the size of the crowds going home after theatre and concert nights out though.
I did feel a bit crushed in the middle of so many people.
Everyone is chatting and being friendly, I found.

Posted by
28 posts

Thanks to all for giving me the confidence to ride the tube at night alone. Thanks Emma for the other route to use. Now, I have to see if I have the energy to stay up for an 8:00 pm concert after only arriving in London that morning at 7:20 am!!!

Posted by
3108 posts

Tip: Take a bottle of water with you in your bag to your concert.
I went to the theatre one night last visit and was desperately thirsty.
The bars inside theatres and concert venues are mobbed at half time, and when you actually get to the front , the prices are astronomical!
3 pounds for a small bottle of water!

Posted by
5257 posts

Yes, I’d send my own 76 year old mother on the Tube at night.

I'd also send my mother in law on the tube at night.

Posted by
8657 posts

Given your arrival time, age and desire not to nod off during the evening concert an afternoon nap is advised.

And per chance if you don’t go to the concert don’t beat yourself up over it. Pushing your limits on day 1 won’t help you enjoy your trip.

Great city. Pace yourself.