Please sign in to post.

Trooping the Colour

We are lucky enough to get to be in London for the Trooping of the Colour celebration, which will be amazing if we get to see any of the Royal family and/or experience this great British celebration of Queen Elizabeth. Any one have any tips on where to go, if it's even possible to see them on the balcony or the mall? Any suggestions advice appreciated!

Posted by
1276 posts

Hi -

If you type ‘Trooping the Colour’ into the search panel at the head of the page, you should get enough information from the previously posted responses to answer any questions you might have.

Given that to get seats (which you have to pay for) is via a ballot which would have closed way back, your best option is to try see the ceremony by standing as near to Horseguards as you can get, then follow the crowds down the Mall afterwards (all very orderly and calm in my experience) to see the Royal Family on the Buckingham Palace balcony and watch the flyovers.

Have a great trip!

Ian

Posted by
11294 posts

If you're looking for information, note that the proper name is "Trooping the Colour" - no preposition "of," and singular not plural (I know you didn't make this mistake, but lots of others do).

Posted by
967 posts

Last year we watched them parade back to Buckingham Palace after the ceremony. Walked through the park to the Mall about an hour ahead and got a spot right in front. Since the Mall is long, it's not too crowded, and everyone is quite jovial. Saw all the royals. The ones in the carriages were obvious, but the ones on horseback were more difficult because of their hats. Princess Anne was easiest to recognize, but later realized those were her brothers on horseback beside her. My favorite was the wonderful Irish wolfhound mascot for the Irish Guards!

There was quite a crush heading to the palace for the balcony waves, so we opted for lawn chairs in the park for the flyover. Very festive! Some of the people we talked to on the parade route had been there several hours ahead, but the crowds were only about three deep. Lots of fun! Will be in London again this year, but have to leave on Thursday. Sorry to miss the this year's parade, but we got tickets again for Beating Retreat on Wednesday. There MAY be some of those available still. Check the website if you're interested.