Please sign in to post.

Trip to UK

Hi Rick :

I will be going to Liverpool for the RocknRoll Half Marathon. I am planning to stay for a week after the run.
I would appreciate some advice.

1. Is Britrail worth it? I am planning to go to York, Leeds, Manchester, London, Bath, Cambridge and Cornwall.
  2. What places in Cornwall do you recommend for someone who will not be driving? I plan to stay a couple of days in Cornwall.
  3. Do you have a suggestion for a Bed and Breakfast?

Thanks!!

Posted by
11294 posts

First, Rick himself does not frequent this board. Some of his staff members do, but most of us are "members of the traveling public" like yourself.

Second, whether a Britrail Pass is worth it depends on whether you can snag discounts for Advance tickets (non-refundable tickets, but very cheap) or need full flexibility (last minute tickets in England can be very expensive). Before buying any pass, read this great summary of the issues involved from the famous rail guru, The Man In Seat 61, and make sure you understand all the points: http://seat61.com/Railpass-and-Eurail-pass-guide.htm#railpass-or-point-to-point-tickets

Go to the National Rail website and put in your routes for your dates: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/. You can see the various fares available. Advance tickets become available about 3 months before travel, and can get snapped up fast on popular routes. Then, when you know what actual tickets will cost, you can compare it to the cost of a pass.

I can't help with the rest of of your destinations, but for Liverpool and Manchester, you may get some ideas (including lodging) from my detailed trip report: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/uk-trip-report-glasgow-manchester-liverpool-in-september-2016

Posted by
533 posts

You are packing a LOT of destinations into a week. Is that on purpose? Have you been to the UK before, so you're familiar with the distances and travel times involved?

Posted by
8468 posts

If I was Rick, I'd say my answers to all your questions are in the guidebook.

Posted by
1287 posts

If you are only staying for a week then you are probably trying to do too much. Cornwall isn't that far in miles from Liverpool, but it is still a heck of a trek by car to get there and virtually a full day by train. Given you are in Liverpool would the Lake District not be a better option? It is a sight nearer and easier to get to.

I live in Leeds and as a born and bred 'Loiner' would defend my city to the hilt, but would confess it's not tourist central, unless there's something specific here that has attracted your attention. It rewards exploration but not the kind you might be seeking during a week in the UK. I'd say something similar about Manchester.

York yes, London, of course, Bath yes, Cambridge....maybe. Cornwall I'd save for another trip and do it justice! And to do that you'd need a car - it's bigger and more remote in terms of infastructure than you might think.

B&B's I'd do internet searches on.... they are always a bit pot luck, but most are OK, after all they are businesses in the end and need repeat business. That said, I've stayed in a couple of pretty crummy ones, but these are far outweighed by the exceptionally good ones. Have a great trip and I hope you smash the half!

Ian

Posted by
3122 posts

Since you'll be in Liverpool, I hope you will give yourself a chance to enjoy the Beatles Experience museum at the Albert Dock, the Magical Mystery Tour bus (which also gives you free entry to the rebuilt Cavern Club), and the Hard Day's Night Hotel. All are totally fab!