Please sign in to post.

Trip suggestions

We are loosely following Rick’s suggested trip to tour the UK via public transportation. So far, we are going to Bath first, then Stratford upon Avon for 2 nights. We want to go to Glasgow, Edinburgh, York and London, but are looking for suggestions between Stratford upon Avon and Glasgow. As much as we would love to, we aren’t really inclined on this trip to do a lot of hiking. We were/are thinking about Chester, with a day trip to Conwy and maybe a day trip into Liverpool, but not fully committed to that. Any suggestions?

Trip dates are May 14- June 5.

Posted by
6563 posts

Chester and Conwy are good choices. I haven't been to Liverpool. Another good choice would be Durham, between York and Edinburgh. Hadrian's Wall is served by a public bus that runs its length, at least in summer.

Posted by
3797 posts

You'll want more than a day trip to Conwy.
It's a beautiful place beside the water, with a medieval castle, town wall, and buildings.
As long as you're taking the trouble to go there by train, I'd check into a hotel and stay 2 to 3 nights.
There are a couple of great fish and chips shops, plus our hotel had an excellent restaurant.

You say, "So far, we are going to Bath first,"......You can take a coach (bus) directly from Heathrow airport to Bath. Cheaper than the train and the coach has comfy, clean seats, WiFi, and gets into the coach/train station in Bath walking distance to the center of town.

It's easy to get to Stratford-Upon-Avon from Bath by train.
I'll leave directions to our train experts here.
One route goes through Oxford. I have no idea if you're interested in a night or two there.
Close to Stratford-Upon-Avon is Warwick Castle and the town of Warwick; both worth a look.

Dick is right......Going up the East Coast train line, York and Durham are "must sees" in my book. Continue north to Edinburgh and stay a couple of nights before heading to Glasgow.
I would spend 3 nights in York.