Please sign in to post.

Trip Reports

I was just thinking how useful it would be if more of us posted a Trip Report. We could get a lot of "gosh, I never thought of that" information. I was reading the post from the family who are staying on the Kent coast before going cruising from Dover. Jennifer came up with some good stuff. We are spending some time in Kent this September and I really appreciated her response. Right right. Nothing to do with trip reports but if this family posts one when they get home it's just another thing in our collective tool kit.

Posted by
32801 posts

I completely agree, it seems to me only fair that people who come here for information give a little back in a post to report how it all went when they get back.

Posted by
3248 posts

Good point! I hesitate to post trip reports because our vacations, as wonderful as they are to us, are not exactly unique and most if not all of what we do has already been done by thousands of other American tourists. I would hate to post a trip report and have someone respond with "Been there. Done that!"

With that said, it might help someone to know how much we loved a hotel in Strasbourg that isn't mentioned in the RS guidebook, or how we dealt with a canceled train in Munich, or how much we enjoyed a mini-van day trip to the Wachau Valley, etc.

Posted by
11294 posts

"I hesitate to post trip reports because our vacations, as wonderful as they are to us, are not exactly unique and most if not all of what we do has already been done by thousands of other American tourists. I would hate to post a trip report and have someone respond with "Been there. Done that!" "

I've never seen a rude response like that here on this Forum. However, speaking for myself, I feel less compelled to post my reports about places that already have lots of information available about them.

"With that said, it might help someone to know how much we loved a hotel in Strasbourg that isn't mentioned in the RS guidebook, or how we dealt with a canceled train in Munich, or how much we enjoyed a mini-van day trip to the Wachau Valley, etc."

Exactly the reason I posted so much detail about my trips to Sicily, post-industrial UK cities, and Basque country. Rick himself gives less information about these (or none), and there are fewer posts with details about hotels, restaurants, transit, and the like.

Posted by
11613 posts

Thanks for bringing this up, Laurel. I like reading trip reports, and I like writing them if I can contribute a destination not well-connected, or just reflections on places that are tourist-trodden. I love reading what people feel about a place.

I like reading the personal impressions people​ write, in addition to information that is helpful or timely. Just finished a trip report on Roma😉.

Posted by
2471 posts

Laurel,
The reason I don't post trip reports is I feel intimidated. Occasionally, I have encountered snarky comments about some of my posts. Imagine if I wrote an entire report...
Zoe, I read your report about Roma and agree it is a place I like to return to, I've only been twice but I love it there.

Posted by
32801 posts

The reason I don't post trip reports is I feel intimidated.

That's a terrible shame.

I've had negatives about some of my posts too, and it isn't very nice; I try to ignore those and just look at the good.

I hope you find some courage and will tell us about your journeys. I, for one, will read with interest. No digs from me.

Posted by
11613 posts

Judy B, when I first started posting on the forum, I got a few snarky comments, and I almost didn't come back. It's 10,000 posts later...

As Nigel said, don't take everything to heart. Most people who reply to trip reports are genuinely interested in what you have to say, and offer encouraging comments.

And thanks for loving my favorite city in the world.

Posted by
2471 posts

Thanks Nigel and Zoe for your encouragement. I will try to focus on the good will that most people on the forum show to others.

Zoe,
You gave me name of a hotel in Naples where I stayed this past April. I spent 2 adventurous days there - I was captivated by Naples, all the grittiness and chaos of it!
And, how else to describe Roma except with superlatives! I'll be back for sure.
This September I'm going to Ireland and London. Next April on to Paris and Amsterdam.

Wanderlust is real and the only treatment seems to be more travel. 😍

Posted by
32801 posts

You're braver than me Judy B.... I stay on the Sorrento peninsula and I'm really not ready yet for Naples. My father spent about a week in Naples (and returned in 2005 to see where he had been) but that was during WWII. I've never gone into the centre.

Posted by
28 posts

I think it sounds like a great idea and of value and interest! I'm always afraid to post my itinerary because I've had some negative comments. We like to travel at a brisk pace and it seems to unsettle some! I'd love to read what others are doing/have done!

Posted by
1097 posts

I guess I need to finish mine. Did all but the last destination, got only a couple comments early into it and wondered if anyone even looked at the rest. Too detailed? IDK. Maybe it'll come up in future searches if anyone's looking for something in particular.

Posted by
2189 posts

Point taken, Laurel, and thanks for encouraging the rest of us. I will post after our upcoming Best of Eastern France. The closer I get to our tour, the more questions I have, I.e. how did people pack to handle the temp change encountered in Chamonix. I could probably call the tour office, but it's nice when there are trip reports to find these details.

Posted by
4117 posts

I love reading trip reports! For me, it's more like sharing someone's trip than it is about gaining new information (although that certainly happens, too). And loving travel as much as most here do, I think most readers enjoy "sharing" someone's travel. My report is usually well-begun on the plane on the way home.

I hate it that, while I haven't received snarky comments, I have read some written to others that certainly left me feeling less than comfortable about any future posts I might make. On the flip side, I have also read other comments/replies politely calling out someone about such a comment and it gives me heart and courage to be brave myself. :) Almost all posters here are kind, polite, and very helpful!

Posted by
553 posts

I love reading trip reports, even when the destinations are not places I will ever get to, or sometimes especially since I will never get to them. :)

Posted by
993 posts

I think it can be a little intimidating not out of any fear of snarky responses but because some of the posters are just such darn good writers. I've been known to print them so I have something to read during my commute. Having said all this, feel free to call me out if I fail to file a report when we get back in late September.

Posted by
32801 posts

I love to read trip reports - especially if they are all in one thread instead of scattering parts 1,2,3,4,5 etc., all over a Forum. I do find the disjointed ones hard work.

I love them because I usually learn something that I didn't know which will help me with a future trip - even after over 50 years of travel and over 40 to Continental Europe, there are loads of places I've never been and things I've never done. I really like to put myself in the other person's shoes.

I'm currently planning an anniversary trip to the Odenwald in Germany and Luxembourg which wouldn't have occurred to me if people over the years hadn't written about them here.

Thanks to everybody who asks questions, and special thanks to those who write of their adventures.