Please sign in to post.

Trip Report- London with small children

Hi all,

As we prepare to travel home, thought I would post a trip report while I sit with my glass of wine :) thank you to all who helped in planning the trip!

Background: Two adults, one 4 year old and an 8 month old.

Arrived Monday morning in London Gatwick
- Took the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station
- Picked up 7 day zone 1/2 travel cards at the rail station for two adults with our passport size photos
- took the tube to check into our apartment in Notting Hill (AirBNB).
- got our bags settled and went for a walk in Hyde Park, stopping at Diana Memorial playground and to feed the birds
- Found a Tesco for some staples and supper
- Collapsed :)

Tuesday
- Left for the tube around 8AM for Tower Hill for the Tower of London (used the 241 with our railcards), kids in free

- got in right away to see the Crown Jewels, it was amazing! We stayed for a beefeater tour but there were too many people so we decided to wander a bit and head out
- took a cruiser down to Embankment with our travelcard
- walked to Covent Garden. Browsed the markets and had lunch.
- went to the London Transport Museum (241). Got lucky and got preschool story time! Was our eldest's favourite museum by far
- Took the tube home for a nap
- Had a late afternoon tea at the Orangerie in Kensington Palace

Wednesday
- left our apartment and headed to Westminster Abbey (241). They had a great treasure hunt for kids that we all learned something from and our daughter got a gold coin at the end
- walked by Big Ben
- went to the changing of the Queems horse guard- they were setting up for her big 90th birthday celebration
- went to the playground in St James park in front of Buckingham Palace and had a picnic
- home for Nap
- Science Museum - hit a bubble show both kids loved!
- walked to Harrods, crazy store!
- tube home

Thursday
- tube to the London eye (fire issue on the line so ran quite late) (241)
- the 4D movie was the favourite after the ride
- baby got fussy so back for a rest
- walked high st Kensington and went to Holland park for the playgrounds and a picnic supper

Friday morning
- packed and headed to Paddington for our next leg

Overall comments-
- getting the 7 day railcard saved us a ton, as the children were free at all the attractions we visited and we had 5 days in London. I pre printed many vouchers and just grabbed whatever we chose to use
- we actually came in under budget in London (in shock), with our total food budget coming in at $230 pounds, transportation $64 poinds (travelcard) and attractions $160 pounds. We only ate out a few times in restaurants, mostly sticking to Tesco for groceries and pret a manger for picnics, but we bought whatever we felt like it was just easier with the kids.
- renting an apartment was great, both for cooking and having our own space

I hope this helps others in their planning :) I will post a report on our next leg (Devon) in another thread

Posted by
2191 posts

How did the tea at the Orangerie go? Are you the mom that was asking about that a month or two ago? I think you advice will go a long way towards alleviating worries for other parents.

Enjoy!

Posted by
130 posts

Patty, it went decently!
They had a high chair for the baby and a mini tea for my 4 year old that was very affordable ($11 pounds). The girls weren't perfect, but we sat near some window seats which provided a beautiful view and a place to play. The dress ranged from quite casual to business casual, and no one really batted an eye at us, although they were the only children.
Service was fast, which we were very thankful for! We were in and out within an hour.
I got the afternoon tea as did my daughter- my husband got a beer :)
We all enjoyed it- my daughter has already been telling people she had tea at a palace

Posted by
2191 posts

What a great memory! Glad you did it.

Posted by
4530 posts

Just a note if anyone is using this to plan concerning 241 deals. If flying into Gatwick, tickets on the Thameslink rail into London DO qualify for 241 deals (you would need to buy your return tickets back to Gatwick). Then you don't need to bother with 7 day travel cards at all. Gatwick express trains don't qualify.

Posted by
130 posts

Yes, but unfortunately you cannot buy the tube pass at the Gatwick rail station, and it was better value for us to go that route anyways

Posted by
5 posts

It's really awesome to go for a 1 week trip. Hope you had a great time. While taking children for a trip just give them some safety tips, because they don't know what are happening around them. Last year we went for a trip with my little daughter and I almost lost her. we were simply talking and relaxing in a park. A man was constantly staring at my daughter. He was trying to talk with her and smiled at her. She got scared and hugged me. After some time, when we were departing, he came near us and showed my daughter some chocolates and was trying to mesmerize her. She was really scared and hugged me tight again. His way of look was really awkward. I warned him to go away, But still he was staring. Since I was with her, I somehow protected her. But if our children are left alone, it's really dangerous for them. So teach them few safety tips http://optimumsecurity.ca/uncategorized/real-world-safety-tips-for-children/ so that they'll understand how to tackle few situations. It may not sound important , but small things can make a huge difference. Hope you understand. Reaching home safely with our family after a trip is one of the best moments to be remembered. Have a safe and wonderful trip :)