Please sign in to post.

Travel to United Kingdom in June.

I am planning to travel to London and ireland in June 11th. I have my airfare from Tap Portugal. We are going to see two concerts but with Coronavirus I don't know if I should cancel everything or wait until early May late April to conceal. I would highly appreciate an advice. Thank you fellow travellers.

Posted by
112 posts

My opinion: June is way too soon to be planning travel to Europe / UK.

What concerts? Everything is getting cancelled. Glastonbury Festival in late June got cancelled the other day.

Posted by
6 posts

I am not planning. I rephrase, I have a trip planned already. Concert are Zucchero in London and Cat Stevens in Ireland. I have all hotels, airfare, concerts, all booked up already.

Posted by
3904 posts

The climate is changing on a daily and even hourly basis, no-one is in a position to give you any meaningful advice about the travel aspects in June.

We have two weeks booked for Mallorca in August and we're fully expecting not to be able to go. We're holding off making any more travel plans this year.

Posted by
3940 posts

The peak here is anticipated for June, so I think the chances of travel and concerts happening is slim.

Posted by
112 posts

I am not planning. I rephrase, I have a trip planned already. Concert are Zucchero in London and Cat Stevens in Ireland. I have all hotels, airfare, concerts, all booked up already.

Concerts will in all likelihood be cancelled. Maybe they will refund. Who knows?

You just have to wait and see on hotels and airfare. If the flights are cancelled, you will get the best deal - not necessarily a refund, but maybe a voucher for future travel. Are your hotels cancellable and refundable? May as well hold on for now and cancel them when it becomes obvious the trip is not going to happen.

IMO, the chances this trip will happen are very low. Like another poster, I am booked for a RS tour to Turkey in September, 3 months later than your trip, and I think chances it will happen are really low, no more than say 10 percent. I put your chances at no more than that...probably lower.

Posted by
112 posts

We're holding off making any more travel plans this year.

I am in this camp with JC.

Every year our traditional trip to Europe is in December, our favorite time of year to be there. We don't start planning this trip until July or August, and we will be looking at it closely, again.

But...I seriously doubt we will go to Europe this year, even if somehow a window opens up in December, no virus, etc. No trips likely for us this year, and that is the way I am looking at it. YMMV...

Posted by
991 posts

Concur with JC and Wally. There is no certainty as to what will happen in 2020. If the virus does abate later in the summer it could very well become more prevalent by winter, along with the common flu or any communicable virus for that matter.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you all for your inputs. You are right my chances are very slim at this point. This trip was going to be my 60th birthday celebration and my husband's dream. We've never been in Europe and I booked all places to go, hotels, planes, etc in December. Nobody expected this.

Posted by
4777 posts

I can only concur with the sentiments so far, but do recommend not taking any action at this time, why?

  • Most airlines are overwhelmed with calls right now, why add to the load for something nearly three months out. The person flying next week would appreciate your patience. Delta for example is saying do not call until 72 hours before your flight right now.
  • As the Government in the UK and Ireland impose further restrictions (cancelling events, limiting travel, closing some services, etc.) your ability to get a refund on any sunk costs are better. Right now, even though it may be the right thing to do, a place has no obligation to refund "non-refundable" deposit if you insist on cancelling at an early date. Even then, if I had a small deposit ($50) at a small B&B, I might consider not insisting on a refund. Those people are going to be struggling, they likely will not get another booking, I can take the hit.
  • And lastly, though highly unlikely, maybe everything will be fine. You have time, so let it ride for now.
Posted by
2296 posts

ccespedes, so sorry you had to cancel your first trip.

Posted by
5162 posts

Life is a crap shoot. Always has been. Always will be.

Desire is to be in the U.K. in December. Not counting on it, but remaining optimistic helps the psyche.

Posted by
74 posts

I just got a message that the Tower of London is closing today and will be for awhile.

Posted by
447 posts

Paul has some very good points. I have a trip to Europe planned for July/August. I am sure this trip will not happen. I have canceled my refundable hotels on Booking.com and will wait for information regarding airline travel for that time-frame. Even if the virus calms down for a while, we are at the age group (50-65) that we would rather just stay home this summer. I could have waited on the Booking.com cancellations, but honestly, by canceling now it has helped alleviate some stress. I have family in the UK and I will miss not seeing them this year. We have to stay safe and make sacrifices.

Posted by
4053 posts

We have a safari booked for 25 July-2 August in Kenya/Tanzania, but booked flights so we have a week in England prior to the safari and four days after the safari.

We have to decide prior to 25 April if we will go with the safari, since we have to pay in full or cancel. We still lose a $750 pp deposit, unless they will let us reschedule until next year.

We would lose some expensive flight costs, unless the airlines cancel more flights beyond the end of April.

A vaccine may be ready for us if we can put off the travel until next year.

Posted by
2902 posts

There probably isn't a whole lot gained by canceling your reservations this far out.

First of all, the airlines are slammed with requests for assistance for people who are traveling in the next few days or next week. They do not need people who are looking at plans a few months out tying up their phone lines and keeping them from helping people with an urgent need.
Secondly, none of us can accurately predict what will happen next.
Finally, you may be more likely to get a refund if you wait for the airline to cancel your flight vs. canceling the reservation early. Just make sure you have a clear idea of the "cancel by" policies for all your reservations.

Posted by
2585 posts

As Jennifer said, they say the virus will peak mid June. The U.K. is in complete lockdown, my family in Wales said they have no idea how long the lockdown will be.
Traveling there in June wouldn’t be wise.

Posted by
3904 posts

There is currently talk of the UK lockdown lasting 6 months which woud bring us to October. Currently there is insufficient information to determine what this means in terms of restrictions however it would be prudent to consider them as they currently are.

Posted by
1533 posts

Pres. Trump just announced yesterday that Social Distancing rules will be in effect through April 30. He also said the peak is expected here to be in the next 2 weeks, personally I think he is being too optimistic as the virus is now spreading to Chicago, Detroit and other places in the center of the country.
I am going to Poland in September on a RS tour, hoping the trip is not cancelled. I’m hesitant to book my airfare with the e-credit Delta gave me from my cancelled trip to Italy. Situation is very fluid. For a planner like me, hard to fathom but I have to accept the unknown.

Posted by
6 posts

Thank you all fr your advice. I will wait until the end of April to see what happens.

Posted by
36 posts

Most of the replies are from 3 weeks ago, but as you can see, this stuff is changing rapidly. I had a trip booked for June 1, which I changed to now July 15, giving another 45 day buffer. 3-4 weeks ago, it was looking very grim, but now with talks of already "re-opening" certain states in the US, along with new data of cases / deaths that are significantly lower than what was original expected, I am optimistic life may not return to 100% normalization by July / August, but hopefully we all will at least have our freedoms back to travel.

Posted by
4 posts

Hi, I work (did work) for a theatre in the west end. Our union has advised us that theatres may not re-open till next year. It's likely to be the same for concerts in the UK