Please sign in to post.

travel apps

I have been told that there is an app for your phone while in London where you just type in where you are now and the place you want to go and it will tell you what bus or train or tube line, that will get you there the quickest. I have found apps but they are of actual maps, not how to get from A to B and on which modes of transport.

Posted by
5687 posts

I use Google Maps for this - though I haven't been to London in a long time. It works great for that in other cities. You can check yourself to see whether it has info for the tube and London buses - probably does.. In some cities, it even has real-time delay info so you can tell if the bus or train you are trying to get to is on time.

Posted by
11294 posts

I used Google Maps. If you aren't seeing transit directions, have someone show you how to use the "bus" icon rather than the car, walking, or taxi one.

Posted by
3985 posts

I like citymapper because you can plan in advance your point A to point B trips and can access them offline. For the tube, they advise you where on the train to sit which is very helpful!

Posted by
6113 posts

For transport options, use tfl.gov.uk for tube, buses etc. It will also show any delays.

Posted by
3387 posts

I use two apps in London...I look at Google maps to find the sight or location I want to go to and then look to see which tube station is closest to it.
Then I get onto the app "Tube Map - London". If you click the drop-down menu and choose "Route Planner" you can type in your current tube station (you can even just choose "current location") and the station you want to go to. It will then tell you exactly how to get there taking into account any closures or delays.
Works great for me every time.

Posted by
9460 posts

This is exactly how I use Citymapper in London (and in Paris) and it works great — it is so accurate, and so easy to use.

Just be aware that you need a data connection for it to work.

Posted by
945 posts

Someone may know the answer to this... my only concern with relying on Citymapper 100% is:

In planning my itinerary, I am using it to figure out travel times. On Monday evening, when I put in Dishoom Carnaby to Victoria Palace Theatre at 6 pm, the option to take the tube doesn't come up. Yet, when I test at another time of day -- say 2 pm -- the 3-minute ride on the southbound Victoria line pops up. What's that about?