Please sign in to post.

Transport for London Fares Freeze 2024

Surprise news from TfL this morning-

Pay as you go single fares will be frozen on bus, Tube, tram and DLR, and the majority of pay as you go fares on London Overground and the Elizabeth line until March 2025. Single and return paper fares will also be frozen on TfL services this year, while the Hopper fare continues to offer Londoners unlimited bus and tram journeys within an hour for £1.75.

So Oyster and Contactless fares are not increasing.

But Travelcard prices are increasing in line with National Rail price increases and to fund the continuation of travelcards. It is not clear from this announcement if the daily/weekly caps are increasing. The fact that they are not mentioned makes cynical me suspicious.

This is a BBC News Article- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-68020031.amp- , which also doesn't mention the caps. It is not the purpose of this forum to discuss the motives for the freeze, per the BBC news article.

Posted by
5326 posts

Some other reports indicate that caps & in boundary Travelcards will increase by around 5%, although this doesn't seem to be spelt out in the press release by the Mayor from what I can see.

Posted by
876 posts

The fact that the press release specifically says that Pay as You Go fares are frozen, rather than all ticket prices are frozen, would suggest to me that caps and Travelcards will indeed be increasing.

Posted by
32757 posts

it is not what is said, often; what is more important is what is not said.