Please sign in to post.

Trains in England

We have been to the UK many times but always have a rental car. For the first time, we plan to take a train. I have information from several of you about what sites to go to in order to schedule. But, here's my question: my cousin and her friend from Sweden will be joining us in London. All 4 of us plan to take the train to Lincoln and after one week the two of them will take the train to Stenstad. They want me to make train reservations for everyone. Now, this is probably a really silly question, but how much information will I be asked about everyone in order to make the reservations - anything other than name? Will this work for me to make all the reservations? I just don't know if I have to be as careful with this as with making flight reservations. Thanks!

Posted by
8293 posts

The Man in Seat 61 has all the answers. Seat61.com

Posted by
33148 posts

They don't care who or what is in the seat. No you don't need names. On the run from Lincoln to Stansted, or from London to Lincoln you don't really need reservations either. Unless you are traveling at peak times (rush hour) in the direction of the rush - towards London in the morning, away from London in the afternoon.

Posted by
295 posts

One quick tip: you can make seat reservation for free once you are in Britain. Outside of Britain you pay a fee. So, wait until you are in England and make the reservations.