Please sign in to post.

Trains in England

I'm confused to different train service in GB. I'll be traveling from MAN to EDI next week,30th.( I hope) train disruption 10-1 ! Are all the different trains (TPX and Avanti )just more regional trains than the National Railway. Would like to book a ticket in advance but not sure if flight could be late (JFK) or delay in customs. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks

Posted by
14950 posts

There is no national railway in the UK. (The site nationalrail.co.uk is not a train company.)

As stated Transpenine Express is the main company between MAN to EDI. I've taken it numerous times. And every time my train was canceled and I had to reroute. Usually from MAN to either Preston or Carlile on TPE or Nothern and then switch to an Avanti train to Edinburgh.

Both TPE and Avanti are having scheduling problems due to staff shortages. If your train is canceled, your ticket should be honored on other services. There will be people at the station and even on the platforms to help you. (One of my trains was canceled two minutes before departure.)

My suggestion is to book an early train and be patient. Sorry to be a downer but the reality is these two companies are having a lot of problems.

Just to be picky, you will not be delayed in customs. Usually just a walk through. The delay could be at immigration to get your passport checked. But they do have e-gates that you can use.