Please sign in to post.

train travel

hello , can you help me, I would like to purchase train tickets in advance, can i purchase tickets indicating i have a railcard for discount even if i do not have card at this time? i would buy it when i arrive in scotlland. also i understand the best view traveling from edi to york and york to london is sitting on east or left side of train. when I view the seat map I cannot tell which side is which( im embarassed to admit ). i understand I will need to have railcard on me when i make my first journey. thank You

Posted by
1210 posts

Yes you can prebuy and indicate you already have the discount card.
You must have the card with you when you board the train though .

Posted by
1210 posts

Let Nigel answer this!!! but south bound I think you want seats on the right as you face the train layout diagram.
That gets you the coastal view.
I have had a couple of Black Sheep beers and it's scrambled my up line/ down line ,left / right comprehension

Posted by
2507 posts

On the LNER seat map, look at the direction of travel on the lower right corner.

If it shows the direction of travel is right to left, choose a seat at the bottom of the diagram. That will be on the left side of the train heading south.

Posted by
470 posts

The tickets you should be looking for are called Advance Single.If you can't see these you are looking too early
Suggest you have a look at www.seat61.com for information on rail travel in UK including how to book tickets from from abroad