Please sign in to post.

Train to Bath

We have an overnight trip planned to Bath from London. I know you take the train from Paddington, but cannot figure out the ticket situation. Do we have to buy in advance or get tickets the day of the trip? I would rather buy the day of but didn’t know if the train sells out?? Thanks

Posted by
8346 posts

I think the issue is more about pricing than availability of seats on the train. The advantage of purchasing in advance if your plans are set is that you can take advantage of reduced fares. The disadvantage of purchasing in advance is that you are then "locked in" to your choice if you have picked the least expensive fare.

I picked a random day in May. Prices varied between 21.20 pounds and 46 pounds off peak.

If you want to purchase in advance you can go through this website
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Posted by
8423 posts

If it were me, I'd buy the tickets any day while you are in London, at any time you are at or near a rail station. Saves the time pressure the day of travel. I'd spring for seat reservations, if you're concerned.

Posted by
1828 posts

It is usually cheaper to buy in advance and you can also book a seat. If you walk up and buy, there is no guarantee you will get a seat.
Trains betyween Paddington and Bath are run by GWR and I've used their website to look at booking a ticket. You need to pick a train time to travel and it may be cheaper to buy two singles rather than a return. You pay for the tickets by credit card and are given a code to use to collect the tickets. These can be picked up at any station from a machine either in the booking office or on the platform. You need to insert the card you used to pay for the ticket and enter the code.

https://www.gwr.com/tickets/#clear

Posted by
470 posts

You need to buy tickets a few weeks before you travel unless you want to pay very high prices on the day.
The tickets you are looking for are called Advance Singles. If you can't see these you are looking too early
These tickets appear to start from £21.20
Suggest you consult www.seat61.com for information on travel in UK including how to book tickets from abroad

Posted by
106 posts

Have a look at thetrainline.com. That's where I book my tickets since the phone app is easy to use. Avoid booking too far in advance in case of unforeseen circumstances, since if one train sells out the next is never far behind.

Posted by
5326 posts

The super off-peak return fare is £65.40. This will be available up to departure within the appropriate timeframe.

You say 'we'. Depending on how many and what category/ies of people are in the 'we' may mean a Railcard could save you money even on a single trip. If 3 or more adults you can get Group Save (third off) without needing any Railcard.

You can also shave off a few pounds by buying tickets from Paddington to Didcot Parkway and from Didcot Parkway to Bath Spa. This requires the train to stop at Didcot en route but presently they all do.