Please sign in to post.

Train tickets

Two questions regarding purchasing train tickets in England.

First, do two people need one Two Together Railcard or does each person need one?

Second, if I have bought a BritRail pass, how do I make a reservation for a train without purchasing a ticket for that ride? I don't see any option on the national rail website that allows me to use the BritRail pass and just reserve seats.

Posted by
2512 posts

The Two Together Railcard is one card for two people. Two photos go on the one railcard.

To reserve seats you need to go to a station; can’t be done online. But why would you reserve seats with a Britrail pass? The point of the pass is its flexibility for those who won’t commit to specific trains and reserve ahead. If you want to guarantee a seat then buy Advance tickets which often come with seat reservations.

Posted by
16325 posts

Why would you get a Two Together Railcard if you are using a Britrail Pass?

Posted by
20 posts

Now I realize that I don't need both. I was trying to save money purchasing the BritRail pass but still have the security of having reservations on specific trains at specific times to stay on schedule and to sit next to each other. There is info about making reservations on line with the BritRail pass by contacting ACP Rail. Have you heard of this before?

Posted by
16893 posts

With a BritRail Pass, you can make seat reservations for free in train stations there up to about 24 hours before travel. You could make a few at the same time you get the pass activated. You also can take your chances with just jumping on and finding a seat, which is part of the flexibility of the pass. Seat reservations are not required (only sleepers for night trains are).