Please sign in to post.

Train Strikes

Is the National Rail website the best site to keep up to date on strikes and other industrial action in England?
We will be traveling exclusively by train while there from 9/25 - 10/08/24 and will travel on the Elizabeth Line, Greater Anglia, East Midlands Ry., LNER, Transpennine Express, Northern Line, Avanti West Coast Line, Transport for Whales, Southwestern Ry., and Cross Country trains.
I understand at least two weeks notice must be given to the public by law, but are there any other rules, tips or insights I need to know to minimize or avoid cancellations and delays?

Posted by
376 posts

Nigel is best for that. :) Just hit the RS Forum. If Nigel is out, I just Google “Train Strikes in UK today”.

Posted by
6537 posts

Between us we post details of strikes on here as soon as they are announced, and the last couple of strikes I have been filling in a lot of detail as and when it is announced.

Very simply LNER always run a core, reduced service on a strike day. Transport for Wales and Transport for London (the Elizabeth Line) are not involved in them.

South Western run a core commuter service, no long distance routes. Greater Anglia run London to Norwich and to Stansted Airport only- no other routes.

East Midlands run to Luton Airport only- no other routes.

TPE, Northern, Cross Country and Avanti run no services.

With a General Election in 4 weeks time, and a change of Government expected a resolution of the underlying issues may be in the offering. That sentence is carefully written to be apolitical.

A lot of advice will be given on here, between us, to assist anyone affected. So far, touching wood, alternatives have been found for anyone caught up in strike days.

Posted by
33164 posts

There is generally a quite comprehensive coverage of labour disputes which affect visitors on this Forum.

Stuart rides a lot of buses and trains and has his ear to the ground, I have years of experience working on the trains and receive notices of pending and cancelled strikes and post pending strikes as soon as I am notified.

Between us and many others if you keep an eye on this Forum, or ask more questions as time gets closer you'll be warned in plenty of time.

The 14 day notice period is critical, and not often exceeded by much, so other than rumours - of which there are none at the moment - so don't worry before the first week of September.

National Rail does put announced strikes on the website but not until plans have been announced by the individual train companies.

It will be interesting to see the change of attitude on both sides after the election.