Please sign in to post.

Train strikes?

I’ve been trying to watch my train ticket status for June 3 - Waterloo to Salisbury - and as far as I can tell, nothing much has changed yet? It does say strikes are planned, but I assume they will contact me if my particular train is cancelled? Or am I assuming wrong? How do I tell?
Are there any other options for this route? Not driving.
If anyone can help me figure this out, that would be great. I can plan on not going, but I will probably have to secure a hotel room in London sooner rather than later!

Posted by
358 posts

The schedule for the 3rd has been agreed and there is a train every two hours at either 8 or 9 minutes past the hour - so you might have got lucky if you'd booked one of those

Times are 0809, 1009, 1208, 1409, 1609, 1809, 2009

As with all things it's subject to change but that is what is showing just now

Posted by
4757 posts

Do not assume that you will be notified about a canceled mode- not by the airlines, not by a train company. Sadly, it's buyer beware, these days. Good luck!

Posted by
5831 posts

On the above trains you are changing at Basingstoke with a 6 minute change over, as there is no through service.
The train to Basingstoke has a final destination of Portsmouth Harbour and is booked to arrive at Platform 2, the forward train to Yeovil Junction is booked on Platform 4 at 0900 and 1300, Platform 3 at 1100 and 1500, but check on the day.
If the shuttle to Yeovil is subsequently cancelled, SWT have a duty of care to you and should provide forward road transport as you will be delayed for 2 hours. You will get there that day- that much is clear, but I wouldn't stake money on an exact time.
This is a station plan- so check with train staff for your closest door to the bridges between platforms. 6 minutes is adequate if noy generous and this is a booked connection.

This is what South Western Trains say on their web site-
A nationwide strike by members of the ASLEF union will again affect our network-wide depot drivers and train drivers on the Island Line.

Due to RMT strike action the day before, services on Saturday 3 June will start at the later time of 0730.  Please check before you travel, including the times of the first and last trains.

The following service changes will apply:

There will be a reduced service between London Waterloo and Chessington South; Dorking; Hampton Court; London Waterloo via Hounslow; London Waterloo via Kingston; Reading; Shepperton; Twickenham; Weybridge; and Windsor & Eton Riverside
A shuttle service will operate between Basingstoke and Yeovil Junction. Customers travelling between Yeovil Junction and London Waterloo will need to change at Basingstoke
There will be a reduced service in the Romsey area
There will be no service on the Island Line 
A significant number of suburban services will be cancelled, however, it will not be possible to update journey planners for these services any earlier than the day before, Friday 2 June. We're sorry for the short notice. Please check your journey before you set off.

Due to localised industrial action, services are subject to short notice delays and cancellations.

Posted by
5831 posts

PS- The only other sensible option is to take the National Express Coach at 1730 (there is only one), arriving at 2045, but I don't see that as being necessary.
You will receive no notification by SWT as any change now will be very last minute.

Posted by
60 posts

That is very good information, I wasn’t aware that I was going to have to make a change. My original ticket was for 12:20pm, so I put an inquiry in to the rail company. It will be an adventure!