Please sign in to post.

Train Reservation Question

We are trying to make seat reservations for our Brit Rail Pass but we keep getting this same error message:
"No reservable ticket types available"

Does this mean they are sold out? Or is it just too early to book a seat reservation? We are traveling in July and think the problem may be that we are trying to reserve too early. We keep waiting a week and trying again with no luck. :(

Can anyone help us figure this out?

Thank you!!

Posted by
8889 posts

Which routes / trains are you trying to book on? Not all trains have reservable seats.

And which website are you using?

Posted by
2512 posts

Are you sure this can be done online. I thought it could only be done at stations.

What's the point of seat reservations with a Britrail pass? The point of a pass is just turn up when you feel like it and go. Otherwise buy the cheaper Advance tickets that come with a seat reservation included in the price.

Posted by
12 posts

We are trying to get seats on early morning trains from London to Liverpool, Liverpool to Penrith, and Penrith to Edinburgh. When we saw seat reservations were an option we assumed that meant trains could potentially sell out. Just thinking ahead and not wanting to miss out on the different stops we have planned. Is it safe to just wait and purchase seats when we arrive in London for these trains? This is my first time in the UK, so this is all very new to me. Thank you for the help.

Posted by
2945 posts

I used reserved online Virgin Trains to Liverpool, no problem. They will send you an e-mail when "advance fares" kick in. Total round trip for two from London was 82 GBP.

For whatever reason I didn't trust Virgin to send me the e-mail, so I just checked every day or so.

Posted by
16893 posts

Trains may get crowded but can't really sell out. Daytime seat reservations are optional and free for passholders to make in a train station when you arrive. If you have a pass that needs to be activated before first use (most of them), then that could be an easy time to do it, and if you miss the reservation, then you're not out anything. Booking online will cost money and is not necessarily available through the usual resources, so I wouldn't bother.