Please sign in to post.

Train from Bath to Moreton-in-Marsh

In September, we are doing a week long walk in the Cotswolds, and will start in Moreton-in-Marsh. We will head there after two nights in Bath (on a weekday.) One walking company told us we would need to have a private car take us, and another said the train should be fine. (Though I see the connection/transfer time is tight.) Appreciate any thoughts on this. Thank you!

Posted by
32919 posts

this is a map of Reading station. https://www.networkrail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Reading-Station-map-April-2021.pdf

Note that the usual connection for your journey is between adjacent platforms. You come in on platform 10 and need to go to 9. Down a lift or escalator and go sideways a couple of metres and back up. You have 11 minutes. If you are hikers you can do it. Still worried? Take a previous train from Bath and build in extra time.

Posted by
5333 posts

Despite doing one change at Reading seems "reasonable" all walk-up tickets are not valid for this. These require a change at Didcot Parkway & Oxford instead. You will generally arrive at the same time but spend more time on platforms and less in trains.

To complicate matters "Advance" tickets, for a specific itinerary generally are based on this routing.

Posted by
2439 posts

Can be easily be done by train. If you check for services today, you will find a bus transfer between Didcot Parkway & Oxford (for MIM). This is because a bridge over the Thames was damaged and has had to be repaired. Hopefully soon this work will be complete and you can go by train all the way.

Posted by
767 posts

If you decide to train it, I'd recommend that you check Great Western Railway's website and twitter feed regularly. We were just there, and GWR posted near daily notifications about track work, detours and cancellations. If you decide on a driver, PM me and I can recommend who we used. We were very happy with him.

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you! This is all very helpful in the planning process!