Please sign in to post.

Tower of London tickets

Hi all,

Just pre-booking my tickets to the Tower of London for a Monday. Since two of my girls are full-time university students (in the U.S.) do they qualify for the concession rate or is that for U.K. students? I can't find anything on their website to clarify.

Also, there is a mini-debate on the TripAdvisor board whether to prebook tickets to Tower of London or not, and that the ticket lines are not bad. Is that true?

Thanks in advance!

Ticket lines aren’t that bad if you go there first thing but you save a small amount buying on line.

The concession rate says “full-time students”. Does that describe your daughters and do they have ID to prove it? If so they should be fine.

Posted by
1325 posts

I’ve been twice and the ticket lines are never an issue. Even security has never been an issue. I probably wouldn’t prebook just in case there’s a change of plans or someone wakes up sick.

Posted by
2109 posts

My oldest grandson is a college student who just finished a year studying in Paris. Everywhere he went that offered student discounts honored his student ID.

In May, there was practically no line at opening time. I don't know how it will be later in the summer. Go straight to the Crown Jewels. There was no line there as well, but by the time we left a little after noon, there was a pretty large queue and the site had filled up substantially.

Posted by
954 posts

Thanks all! The girls have university IDs with 2019 on them. So hopefully, that will do it!

That said, what about Westminster Abbey? Thought is to buy those Timed Tickets in advance as well.

Posted by
149 posts

Yes, I was just there last week and two American students in front of me didn’t have their IDs with them but they showed their student email on their phones and they accepted it.

Posted by
444 posts

We pre-booked tickets to both ToL and Westminster, which saved a little time in line, and some $, but the best advice I have is to get there before they open. The lines at ToL were not bad 5 min prior to opening but got longer quickly after that. The lines for Westminster were already very long at the time of opening so I recommend to get there 20 minutes early. Especially if you want to get the Verger tour (which is awesome and you should definitely do). The line to purchase tickets was not too bad then either, although we were in different lines.

Posted by
7209 posts

For Westminster you could go to an Even Song service for free.

Posted by
2109 posts

For Westminster you could go to an Even Song service for free.

True, being proper Anglicans (Episcopalians) we went to Evensong. Be aware, though, this is a worship service and you can't just wander around. You are also expected to leave after the service. You can see some, but not all of the Abbey.

Posted by
3 posts

I was there last month in May, and I had preordered tickets through the concierge at my hotel. We arrived before the Tower opened and waited to be admitted only to find out that we needed to go to the ticket booth and exchange the paper that the hotel gave us for an admittance ticket. That particular line so early in the morning was short and it only took a few minutes. We then walked back to the entrance and waited for another couple of minutes to enter the castle ground. Because it was so early in the morning, we first toured the Crown Jewels with an immediate entrance.
When we left the castle in the afternoon, all the lines everywhere were extremely long. I would advise getting there early.

Posted by
954 posts

Thanks all! We went ahead and bought tickets from their website today. I’ll bring my paper copies with me and proceed to the security line.