Please sign in to post.

Tower of London

Our trip to London is in late March. We are taking the train from Paris to London, arriving around 11 AM. We are staying near the Tower of London. We would like to book the Keys Ceremony for the end of the day. There appears to be so much to see and take in at the Tower, and would love to spend the whole afternoon there our first day. My only concern is whether it's better to take a different day and start in the morning. Thoughts on whether we should wait and do it a different day, or if a Noon/1PM to close would give us enough time to see it all? Thanks!

Posted by
4114 posts

I loved the Tower of London and spent 6 hours there. It really depends on your interests but it has enough to see to keep you there all day.

Posted by
2603 posts

My 5th trip to London is set for 2 weeks from now and I have my ticket for the Ceremony of the Keys, and I will somehow also be visiting the Tower earlier that day because I need to meet the new raven, Rex. The Tower is my most favorite place in London and I am crazy about the ravens, but it’s also just about the most fascinating place I’ve ever been and for a first visit allow at least 4 hours. The Ceremony takes place long after closing, you check in at 9:30 pm, so you’ll have to come back for that. You will need to try to get tickets for that on the first business day of February 2024 when they are released for March.

Posted by
890 posts

The Crown Jewel galleries get very crowded with long queues as the day develops. The usual strategy is to get there as it opens, go straight to the jewels and then come back for a Beefeater tour. So that would suggest leaving theTower until day 2 and planning th3 Ceremony of the Keys for any other evening as a separate visit.

For your first day I would recommend a walk along the South Bank of the river, crossing Tower Bridge and walking right along the river to Westminster. You will see Borough Market, Southwark Cathedral, the Globe, Tate Modern, the National Theatre, the London Eye and end up at the Houses of Parliament. You can th3 get a straight tube back to Tower Hill or take a boat back if you prefer.

Posted by
32795 posts

Tickets for the Ceremony of the Keys are rare and hard to get. Don't count on getting them until you have been successful.

Regular tickets (Ceremony of the Keys is bought separately) are on the other hand really easy to get both on line and in person.

Posted by
21 posts

Thanks Nigel, and everyone. Our hotel is close to the Tower. I think we will try for any night on the Key tour ahead of time, and hit the rest of it on a full day first thing in the morning.