Please sign in to post.

Tours from Bath

My husband and I are staying in Bath for a few days in May. We would like to do a day trip to Stonehenge, Salisbury and Stourhead. Can anyone recommend a good Tour
company that we could use? Are we trying to do too much to see all three places in one day?

Posted by
13943 posts

I've done a couple of day tours with Mad Max. However, they do not have a tour that goes to all 3 places in one day. I've done their Stonehenge tour and their Cotswolds tour.

You can easily do Salisbury on your own from Bath via train. To me it's a full day to see the Cathedral, a few of the museums, see the city center and the water meadows.

It is possible to do Stonehenge with local transit as well. The Salisbury Reds which is the local bus company, run a shuttle out to Stonehenge from the train station, then come back via Old Sarum. With the Mad Max tour we also went to Avebury and another place or two so that was interesting.

Posted by
4840 posts

In the past there have been many reports about using the Mad Max tours from Bath. There might have been one or two that were not completely happy with the tours (there always is), but I can't recall ever seeing one of them. Base on the positive reports I have seen, I would not hesitate to use them.

Posted by
15011 posts

I've taken a few MadMax tours and enjoyed them. Rabbies is also offering a couple of tours out of Bath.

Posted by
5 posts

The dates we want are booked with Mad Max (we have 5 of us, not enough seats). I've been looking for another tour like that- multiple locations. Any thing else from Bath?

Posted by
723 posts

In addition to Mad Max we've used Scarper tours but Stonehenge is their only destination. It worked out well because we once had limited time. The Mad Max tour worked out well when we had a full day available.

Posted by
5752 posts

Stourhead is the awkward place to get to without a car. This is a recent thread on how to do it- https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/england/london-to-stourhead-national-trust

Do Bath to Salisbury as above, then follow that thread (Salisbury is on the London Waterloo to Gillingham and Exeter route).

To reach Bruton you would change from Salisbury at Westbury. From Bath Bruton is a direct train, every hour, which takes 50 to 55 minutes. The destination of the train outbound is Weymouth, and on the way back is Bristol Temple Meads.