Please sign in to post.

To SIM or not to SIM

I'm very confused about using my phone in England. I'll be there August 19-September 28 and think I might need to call a restaurant for reservations or a friend about meeting up in London, for example. I just bought a new iPhone 14 that I was told has 2 SIM slots but read in a Rick Steves' blog that if you have a British SIM your American phone number won't work (but maybe that doesn't apply to my new phone?). I also am supposed to be using WhatsApp to stay in touch with some people in my group in Oxford. I don't know if I can use WhatsApp and a SIM or even where to get the SIM (in Oxford where I will be at the start of my time in England). Can anyone give me advice....keeping in mind that I understand very little about phone technology (as is obvious from this post).

Posted by
6318 posts

Georgeanna, first, if you have an iPhone 14, you do not have SIM slots. Instead, you have 2 dual eSIMs in the phone. So forget the SIM card, as you would be able to use it. Before I explain eSIMs to you, however, I have a couple of questions.

• Who is your cell phone carrier?
  • And is your phone unlocked?

WhatsApp can be used with or without an eSIM or SIM card. Have you signed up for a WhatsApp account yet?

Posted by
6318 posts

Let me add a few other things to clarify. An eSIM that I described above is an embedded SIM in your phone, so there is no physical card. There are plenty of places that sell eSIM data plans - some have phone numbers you can use and some don't - but in order to use an eSIM plan, you just have an unlocked phone. That is why I was asking if your phone was paid off.

If you don't know, you can check to see if it is by going to your settings (the dark grey gear-shift looking icon on your phone). Once there, go to General, then About, and scroll down to Carrier Lock. If it says "No SIM restrictions" it is unlocked. If it says "SIM locked" it is locked.

Posted by
16 posts

Thank you so much for your help and helpful questions. I have never dealt with SIMs so I didn't ask very detailed questions at the store 2 days ago when I bought the phone and the salesperson just said 2 SIM slots without telling me they were now eSIM slots. In fact, we talked a bit about it and now I realize from what he said that he didn't know that they were eSIM slots.
My carrier is Verizon and (unfortunately) my phone is locked. I do have WhatsApp on my phone...but as I understand it the other party would also have to have it on their phone for us to connect? (I have never used WhatsApp before).

Verizon offers $10 a day that activates only if you use it that day, and $100 unlimited for a month. I will be in England for 6 weeks. The salesperson thought getting a SIM card in England would be the least expensive option.

Do you think my only options are one of the 2 Verizom plans?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!