Please sign in to post.

Tipping

I've read that tipping in restaurants in the UK is unnecessary, but what about tipping housekeeping staff ?

We'll be staying mostly in B&Bs for our three week visit. Here in the US, we always tip the housekeeping staff when we stay at places like Hampton Inn. But do we tip at B&Bs ? It kind of feels like tipping the property owner after we've already paid to spend the night. ?

Posted by
3518 posts

feels like tipping the property owner after we've already paid to spend the night

Exactly why tipping is not required. In most of the B&B properties I have stayed at in Europe, the owners are the ones cooking breakfast, making the beds, and doing everything else. You have already paid them what they want for the room which includes all of those activity. No more is needed.

Posted by
8889 posts

I have never heard of tipping hotel staff in Europe.
You may optionally if you want tip in restaurants and taxis, but only sometimes and not every time. Some people never tip and that is OK.
No tipping anywhere else.

All prices include all taxes and charges. What is says is what you pay.

Posted by
6113 posts

Unless service charge has already been added, the norm in the UK is to tip restaurants 10%. Not leaving a tip would be considered mean, as most staff are only paid minimum wage. You don’t tip at a bar for drinks.

You don’t tip B & B hosts or hotel housekeeping in the UK.

Posted by
15003 posts

I agree about tipping except for one place...my hotel in London. As a regular guest, the housekeeping staff knows me and how I like my room set up. It is done and kept that way...even remembering to turn on the towel warmer. (It also helps that I know the housekeeping staff and greet them by name. Many have been there for years.)

So, I sometimes get a box of chocolates for the staff to share and for longer stays will tip those who took care of my room.

In other hotels, I don't. In restaurants I will leave about 10% if the service was good. No tipping in pubs. In a taxi, I'll round up.

I'm seeing more and more tip jars in coffee places

Posted by
64 posts

I left a tip on the bar after I received 2 beers, and when I sat down the bartender came chasing me saying I forgot my money.
I don't think they expect it, but I do it anyway if they are deserving. After all, who doesn't like money for doing a good job?
I tip hotel staff as well, and they seem to really appreciate it.
I agree with the B&B thing as well, but I would tip just based on the way I am used to doing things. Maybe get an extra sausage out of the deal?

Posted by
5326 posts

I left a tip on the bar after I received 2 beers, and when I sat down the bartender came chasing me saying I forgot my money.

That is because the person would have had no clue as to what you intended. The correct thing if you want to do that is to say after your order 'and one for yourself'.

Posted by
217 posts

but I would tip just based on the way I am used to doing things. 

How do you think that strategy would work out if Europeans tried it over in the USA? Filthy looks from waiters at the very least. Please respect the culture of the country you're visiting!

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you all for the great advice. We wanted to be very cognizant of the fact that we WILL be in a different country and we could rather die than insult.

As far as restaurants, we'll definitely be tipping. But instead of leaving it on the table, we'll be sure and hand it to our server personally with our thanks in order to avoid any confusion.

Posted by
2111 posts

As far as restaurants, we'll definitely be tipping. But instead of leaving it on the table, we'll be sure and hand it to our server personally with our thanks in order to avoid any confusion.

Which server? We ate in a wonderful restaurant in Edinburgh. We were greeted by the maître d, who showed us to our table. Another staff member took our cocktail order, followed my someone who took and served our appetizer order. Someone else took our salad order, then someone else took our main order. The sommelier took our wine order, then after dinner yet another person took our dessert order.

At this point, I gave up and asked about tipping. The maître d, who had come to check on us at the end of the meal, pointed out that in Europe, restaurant staff were paid a decent wage and didn't have to rely on tips to make ends meet. He said that if we insisted, there was a tip jar at the bar and proceeds were distributed to all the staff.

Posted by
1292 posts

I guess it would be different in a family run B&B, but I try to avoid those and instead stay in proper hotels.

I always leave a tip for the chambermaid/housekeeper. Perhaps he or she (but it's nearly always a she), is earning minimum wage, but nobody got wealthy on that. Cleaning someone else's bedroom, lavy and shower isn't a nice job. So leaving, as appropriate, a few euros/pounds/dollars per night as a thank you is only polite and what any decently brought up person would do if they can afford to.

That's not to say you must tip. If people don't want to tip, then they shouldn't, its not an essential part of the deal like it is in US. But anyone claiming you absolutely shouldn't tip in Britain/Europe because it offends against some great cultural norm is just making an excuse for their own tight-arsed behaviour.

Posted by
5262 posts

As has already been mentioned, in the UK and Europe in general you rarely receive service from one particular staff member. Staff typically have 'stations' to manage but anyone can end up jumping in to help out at other stations or be flagged down by tables from another station. More often the card machines offered at the point of payment offer an option to provide a tip, some allow you to input an amount, others a percentage or nothing at all. You will not be insulted, accosted or dealt with in any unpleasant manner if you decide not to leave a tip. I'll often tip about 10% in restaurants in the UK however there have been a number of occasions where I haven't because the service or food has been poor. If the food has been particularly good then that's down to those who cooked it not those who served it to me so why should the money be handed personally to the server on the basis that they're going to pocket it? If you've received a good meal in a restaurant in the UK then the tip should be shared amongst the whole staff not just those who plonked the plate in front of you and inevitably asked you if everything was OK just at the moment you placed a forkful of food into your mouth.

Tipping is an unnecessary minefield in the US. Fortunately in the UK and Europe it's nothing to worry yourself about. You'll rarely make a faux pas and no-one is going to be upset or angry if you don't leave a tip.

As far as restaurants, we'll definitely be tipping. But instead of
leaving it on the table, we'll be sure and hand it to our server
personally with our thanks in order to avoid any confusion.

The confusion mentioned in an earlier post was when someone tried to tip in a pub or bar by leaving money on the counter. You don’t do this (unless there’s a tip jar).

In a restaurant, just leave your tip on the table: sometimes there’ll be a sort of wallet that they put the bill in. You could leave it there or just on the table generally. Or if you’re paying in cash, I quite often just leave the full payment plus about 10% on top on the table as I leave.

Posted by
64 posts

How do you think that strategy would work out if Europeans tried it over in the USA? Filthy looks from waiters at the very least.
Please respect the culture of the country you're visiting!

Europeans treat it differently. I am used to tipping, so It's not even a thought for me. Europeans are NOT used to tipping apparently so they would have to put some effort into remembering that. It would be different. I feel like you answered your own question there anyway.

Please respect the culture of the country you're visiting!
You're telling me that I am offending someone by tipping them? I have never had a complaint from tipping, so I will continue to tip as long as I am traveling. You need to get a grip and stay off the internet. Trolls........

Posted by
1069 posts

"I have never had a complaint from tipping, so I will continue to tip as long as I am traveling. You need to get a grip and stay off the internet. Trolls........"

Looks like we've had a visit from an "ugly American" (I don't care what you say and what the customs of the country are, I'll do what I want), I've heard nylons, chewing gum and chocolates are still going down well in some areas of London!!!!!

Posted by
64 posts

Blockquote Just as crass as me deciding not to tip in the US because I find your tipping system at best annoying, at worst intimidating and unpleasant.

Fair enough!

Posted by
7552 posts

While I am always amused on the insistence on tipping, to sum up what I have learned on many trips to London and the UK:

At restaurants in London, many will add the equivalent of 10-12% onto the bill as either service or gratuity..so no need to tip.

In a Pub, if you have to go up to the bar to order food and drinks, no tipping.

In a restaurant, or a pub, if you are seated at a table and a server takes your order, and there is no service charge on the bill, then tip along the lines of 10%

Outside of London and the very most Tourist type places, assume tipping is a non-issue.

Aside from Restaurants, maybe a cabby gets a small tip...but nowhere else that I am aware of unless you are circulating in high end places where everybody gets a slip of the cash.

Posted by
5262 posts

At restaurants in London, many will add the equivalent of 10-12% onto the bill as either service or gratuity..so no need to tip.

In a Pub, if you have to go up to the bar to order food and drinks, no tipping.

In a restaurant, or a pub, if you are seated at a table and a server takes your order, and there is no service charge on the bill, then tip along the lines of 10%

Outside of London and the very most Tourist type places, assume tipping is a non-issue.

Not many places add the service charge to the bill but it is becoming more and more common, particularly amongst chains so it's always advisable to check the bill. This is by no means confined to London, it's nationwide so whilst tipping in general isn't much of a tradition in the UK it is becoming more and more expected in restaurants or pubs where table service is provided, not just in London but everywhere and the common amount is %10. But again, don't feel obliged if you weren't satisfied with the food or service.

And yes, just as nobody in the US tips a McDonalds or Wendy's server there's no reason to tip bar staff in a pub if you're ordering food or drink at the bar. Quite often regulars at a pub may offer to buy a member of staff a drink when they hand over their payment at the end of the night, this isn't explicitly meant to mean that they're going to pull themselves a drink there and then but they'll take the equivalent amount from your change and keep it.