Please sign in to post.

Tipping

What is the tipping custom in England for the following:

Food and drinks

Hotel service

Tour guides for a hired tour or excursion?

Thanks-

Gary

Posted by
7448 posts

For food and drink, basically if it is counter service, like in a pub where you order at the bar, no need to tip. For sit down service, check the ticket, sometimes a 10-12% service charge is added, so no need to tip more, that charge technically is optional. If no service charge, then the 10% is typical.

Hotel, I do not stay at places fancy enough to have doormen, bellhops, and other services, so tipping is not an issue.

Tour Guides.....that can be tough because it depends on the type of service.

Posted by
660 posts

Food, if service isn’t included on the bill, 10% if everything was good. If service is included, nothing.
Drinks, same as above if getting a bill like a restaurant, nothing if paying for each drink up front, like a pub.
Hotel service, nothing, unless you feel particularly well looked after.
Tour guides, nothing to 10% depending on how impressed you were.

We don’t have a tipping culture here and it’s rarely expected or demanded.

If you over tip, you’ll feel good anyway, if you under tip... so what, you’ll never see them again anyway. Relax and enjoy the trip.

Posted by
32508 posts

I don't tip much - never in a taxi or at a hotel - but I usually tip my barber £1 and if we are in a restaurant that involves traditional service I give £1 per person or if there are 4 of us I make it £5. Sometimes I double up and give £2 per person.

I don't drink so that doesn't enter into it.

When I used to have my shoes done in The City I gave £2. If I am in The City and have a shave I usually give £5, and that includes having a hair cut.

These days I don't usually have a need to tip lift attendants.

These are flat amounts - I don't do anything by percentages.

Posted by
5239 posts

Hey JC we got another one.

Lol!

Gary, the responses previous to this one are all you need to know. The tipping threads usually descend into often emotionally charged responses so best to keep it simple, leave the American style of tipping in America and follow the advice above and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Posted by
32508 posts

Haven't seen one in ages. But I'm always ready...

Posted by
2636 posts

please please please don't leave money on the bar or on a table ,if you want to tip someone then hand the money to them.

Posted by
1321 posts

Tipping threads are always fun. If you’re doing any London Walks, especially in the afternoon or evening, I’ve bought the guide a drink at a nearby pub after the walk, but would never consider a cash tip.

Most restaurants will have an optional service charge of 10-12.5%, I pay this as long as the menu says the service charge goes to the staff.

Some popular tourist pubs have annoyingly added a gratuity option when paying by card, I skip it. You’ll rarely see this (as of May) it’s not at all expected to tip in pubs.

I don’t tip housekeeping in the UK either although I do in the USA.

Posted by
64 posts

I saw this and laughed..........
I got schooled on this earlier this year.
At least Gary asked BEFORE he went.
I didn't tip a penny this year, anywhere. Most of the places we went added gratuity to the check so that was covered.
Emma and the others will show you the way............

If you’re doing any London Walks, especially in the afternoon or evening
Our guide for the Jack the Ripper tour actually mentioned that she would gladly accept tips, then everybody scattered like roaches afterwards.