Please sign in to post.

Things to see in/near Southampton before meeting cruise in May 17, 2025.

We are sailing out of Southampton on May 17th. We always arrive at least one day before the cruise, but a friend suggested taking at least one or two days extra before because there are sites to see. We have a day trip to Stonehenge at the end of the cruise before heading to the airport. Is is worth the extra time before? Any hints are welcome and places to stay for an overnight. We would not have a rental planned at this point. We will be flying to Ireland for 10 days after the cruise so days are precious.

Posted by
8791 posts

Portsmouth Historic Dockyard is very much worth a visit. Accessible by bus or train from Southampton and just a 3 minute walk from the station. The Mary Rose is one of the best presented exhibitions I have ever seen. Add in HMS Victory, other ships, a harbor tour, and multiple buildings full of historical exhibits and you can’t go wrong.

PS. I also recommend Premier Inn West Quay while staying in Southampton.

Posted by
4045 posts

In 2022 we enjoyed an organized day trip from Southampton to the Isle of Wight to visit Osbourne House, the home Prince Albert built for Queen Victoria in the 1800s. If you have an interest in this area I highly recommend a day spent exploring Osbourne House and the island.

Posted by
795 posts

If you’ve got a few days to spare, by all means head over to Isle of Wight to see Osborne House. Allegedly the Queen’s favorite residence, it’s full of history, furniture and furnishings —the Durbar Dining Room is an amazing bit of lush India brought to the Empress of India. The State and Private rooms are fascinating, too, and the efforts Albert put towards the children’s education is admirable. It’s a short walk from the cruise port to the ferry to East Cowes. From there, it’s easy to take a bus to Osborne. The grounds should be lovely in May. Check the English Heritage website for details. My interest in all things sea generally means a cruise, but I’d take the second day to go to Portsmouth, for the reasons mentioned. Portsmouth also has The D-Day Story, a well-presented museum covering the event from both personal and military perspectives. We’ve been in and out of Southampton a few times, but never stayed there. We’ll be at the Premier Inn for a night before our cruise. Have you checked the roll call for your cruise? That will be a good place to get suggestions for a range of accommodations.

Posted by
6 posts

Great suggestions from everyone! We will do some more research and check out our options. I appreciate everything you have all mentioned!