Please sign in to post.

theater tickets in London

What is the best way to buy theater tickets for London plays? Is it best to buy directly from theater online in advance for a certain play? It looks like most of the discounts only come for last minute day of tickets. Will be there for 3 days in May, Mon, Tues, Wed. Looking at Life of Pi, Moulin Rouge, Come from Away, and Six. Any suggestions for other good shows in May? Thanks

Posted by
8710 posts

Yes, buy directly from the theatres. Have your tickets held at will call.

I throughly enjoyed Witness for The Prosecution which is performed in an actual County Hall courtroom. Believe its still in production. Very good performance. Row C Seat X 55.

Also saw Hamilton. PSTALL row H seat 32. Excellent production. Loved where we sat.

Seeing Jerusalem with Mark Rylance in July.

Posted by
8170 posts

We bought ours directly from the theatre online for the end of May. They're switching to a Summer schedule in June.

Posted by
94 posts

We're booked to see Moulin Rouge. Looks incredible. Claudia, you have just broken my wife's heart as she has a weird crush on Mark Rylance and wasn't aware of Jerusalem but alas, it ends 3 weeks before we arrive. Damn it. Although... perhaps I dodged a bullet? haha.

Posted by
27207 posts

If there are specific plays you want to see, it's smart to go ahead and buy the tickets. I have learned to my disappointment that many shows will be sold out if you wait until 2 or 3 days ahead to look for tickets. London theatres seems to be smaller than ours. The very most popular shows sell out farther in advance, obviously.

The TheatreMonkey website has good information about the best seats in each theatre.

The shows that end up being available at a significant discount are the ones that are less popular. I've had some disappointing London theatre experiences and would now rather pay full price for something I really want to see.

Posted by
2607 posts

I researched what was showing on some theatre site then went to the actual theatres to see the schedule/buy tickets and despite thinking I would see a couple of shows ended up choosing just Hamilton for this Wednesday. The hot ticket seems to be To Kill a Mockingbird, mostly sold out while I am here at present. I am fond of productions based on books so had considered The Corn is Green and Small Island as well.

Posted by
8710 posts

@John please tell you wife I’m sorry my seeing Mark Rylance has broken her heart. Tickets were a surprise gift. I was shocked AND elated.

OP below is the link for the Leicester Square half price ticket booth. In the past you’d have to go the Leicester Square booth to see what plays were available. Now you can look online. Worth a look
https://officiallondontheatre.com/tkts/faq/

Folks lived in SF for a number of years. Enjoyed riding the N Judah into downtown.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. Theater monkey was very helpful in choosing the play and seats. Got tickets to "The Ocean at the End of the Lane.