Please sign in to post.

theater tickets

My wife and I are going to London at the end of September and are interested in going to a show. Should we buy ahead of time,
if so should we buy now, and what are some good websites to use to check on tickets. Also what are your experiences with the theater district? We have heard some negative things about safety. While we were in London two years ago and loved it we have not been to that part of the city. Many thanks.

Posted by
86 posts

When to buy depends on if you really want to see a show. For example, we wanted to see the Book of Mormon and
knew it sold out, so we bought ahead of
time. Other times I didn't care and chose the day of at TKTS. I bought online through Londont Theatre tickets. I often go to the theatre alone when I'm in London, and I have never felt unsafe after a show lets out. Many of the shows get out at around the same time so often the streets are busy. I also took the tube everywhere and never felt like I it was dangerous at night (around 10pm). In fact I like it more than the packed trains of daytime. Enjoy!

Posted by
8679 posts

Heard what about safety in the theatre district?

Been visiting London since the 70's. Attend at least one theatre performance each trip. Never, in 40 years, have I felt uncomfortable.

As far as websites try theatremonkey. You can also see online what offers will be available from the Half Price Ticket booth in Leicester Square. This website will tell you what will be on in September.
http://www.londontheatre.co.uk/

Posted by
6113 posts

Sarah gives good advice. If you want to book ahead, book with the theatre direct, not an intermediary. The TCKTs bureau in Leicester Square is great for same day bookings (opens lunchtime), but their choice is more limited, but for most shows, they are cheaper.

The theatre district is safe - why does everyone on this forum think that London is unsafe?

Posted by
5328 posts

The number of shows that TKTS sells at half price is quite small at the moment, especially at the weekend. Either everything else is a roaring success presently or theatres are doing more of their own advance discounting. Or maybe both.

Posted by
9100 posts

The theater district around Leicester Square/Picadilly Circus/Covent Garden is awesome but is wall to wall tourists so there will be pickpockets around to take advantage of that. Keep all your excess cash, cards, and passport in a money belt or the hotel room safe and you have defeated the problem. On the weekends watch out for puke in the metro stations:)

Posted by
92 posts

I would not worry about safety anywhere in central London, and there are generally lots of other people around. Definitely there will be a crowd getting out of the theatres each night, so you will not be alone.

Theatres in London are well spread out, but there is a concentration in the West End. It's perfectly safe and has lots of restaurants, shops, hotels, pubs, et cetera, as well as the theatres.

If you really want to see a particular show, I would book as far ahead as possible, and would buy only directly from the theatre's website/authorised ticket broker, or from the theatre directly (just call the box office). We always buy ahead and pick up our tickets at the theatre (what we call "will call" in the States) and have never had a problem.

I would see anything at the Globe or National Theatre, and would purchase those ahead. Other theatres to consider are the Old Vic, Young Vic, Almeida, Barbican, Donmar Warehouse, and Trafalgar Studios. There are also plenty of musical theatre productions from which to choose.

The only ticket reseller I use is the TKTS booth in Leicester Square. Their website will tell you what they have on sale today and tomorrow, and the prices. If you keep an eye on this, you can get a good idea of what they might have on offer while you are there. Bear in mind this is always a gamble and you can't count on them having what you want, and you also have to go and purchase your tickets in person, which you may not want to do in the middle of your day.

You can also go in person to a theatre and buy tickets from their box office.

I like the Theatre Monkey website for lots of good information about seating and London theatre in general.

Hope you find something you enjoy. London is a great place for theatre, and live performances of all types. You can check listings on the websites of Time Out London and Londonist, to get an idea of what is on offer.

Posted by
39 posts

My wife and I were in London two years ago and loved it, that's why we're going back. We have traveled to Europe several times by ourselves and never felt unsafe. Having said that the person we heard this from lived in London for two years. It sounds like the thing we need to keep in mind has to do more with pickpockets which is something we always keep in mind when we travel. Thank you for your responses about the tickets. I think we will look to see what is playing while we're there and buy them ahead of time.

Posted by
15585 posts

Before you commit, go to http://www.theatremonkey.com/firsttimetips.htm A couple of folks have already mentioned it. Everything you want to know - including deals and cheap tickets is here.

You'll be fine whichever theatre you choose. Remember, there will be hundreds of people entering and leaving the theatre with you.