Please sign in to post.

Telephone calls in England using IPhone 6

I would like advise on the best telephone program to use in England. Two are traveling for 1 month and we both have the iPhone 6..AT&T servers. Would like to mainly like to be able to communicate with one another and make calls within England for reservations etc.
My experiences in France and Spain was not good even after making arrangements with AT&T before we left the USA.
THANKS

Posted by
32206 posts

diva,

I'm not completely clear on your questions? Use of the phone will be the same whether one is using an iPhone 6 or earlier models or Android phones. Could you elaborate on the problems that you experienced last time?

If you're making voice calls to another U.S. number, just dial "+1" and the ten-digit number. You will pay for an outgoing international call, and the other party will pay for an incoming call at the applicable rates on your plan. These are usually billed to the nearest minute. A less expensive way to keep in touch is to use text messages and received texts are usually free.

Posted by
68 posts

Using an iPhone, while connected to WiFi, you can iMessage or Facetime to anyone with any iPhone for free. This is how we keep in touch when traveling.

I will be 6 weeks in Europe this summer, so I am going to buy a local SIM card when I get to England and use that for my in country calls and data while traveling. If you need more data, etc you can 'top up' the card. I am not too impressed with the programs from Verizon for overseas, so I am going with the SiM card. The SiM cards are very available and the store will install/test it for you. My son is over there now, as an iPhone 5 and that is what he is already doing. Did you read the section in Travel Tips about Phones and Technology? http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/phones-tech

Posted by
1210 posts

I'd use the iphones for web access where wifi is present and for its great camera.
I'd buy to 2 low end phones,might run to $30 at most and a local sim.Its easy to set up and some companies still do £5 deals lasting a month that give Free calls between phones on same network, and better rates to other Uk phones than american carriers will offer.You can also easily get rates from those UK Sims to Us for 3 c a minute.
I sent you a PM too

Posted by
31 posts

If you use data a lot, a subscriber in UK offers unlimited data for 30 days plus some minutes of calls for GBP15.

If you will make many calls to US, there are competitors offering as low as 6p per min for calls to US.

Don't think I can name those companies here. You can send me private msg and I let you know if you need more details.